Michael Rosen-Prinz maintains a broad trusts and estate practice, including wealth transfer planning, planning for family governance and business succession, cryptocurrency and QSBS planning, and estate, gift and generation-skipping transfer tax matters.
Michael also has deep experience forming and operating single family offices and private trust companies; advising on governance, succession, tax, regulatory and operational issues.
In addition, Michael devotes a substantial portion of his practice to cross-border planning for domestic and international families. In this area, he advises clients on foreign trusts, pre-immigration planning and expatriation, as well as inbound and outbound investments and compliance matters related to structuring investment vehicles in the U.S. and internationally.
Select examples of Michael’s prior firm experience include:
- Prepared straightforward and complex estate plans for individuals.
- Established private trust companies and family office structures for international and U.S. families.
- Performed tax efficient domestication of foreign trusts and restructuring of a complex, multibillion-dollar foreign and U.S. structure.
- Represented a trustee in the administration and the Internal Revenue Service audit of a complex taxable estate consisting of multiple trusts and conflicting beneficiaries and creditors.
- Represented a family patriarch and matriarch in structuring control and ownership of a multi-hundred million dollar family business to implement a desired management succession plan among descendants as well as the tax-efficient transfer of wealth to irrevocable trusts.
- University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, J.D.
- University of California at Santa Barbara, B.A., with high honors
- Named in Chambers High Net Worth Guide in Southern California, Private Wealth Law (2018-2023)
- Named "Best Lawyer" in Trusts and Estates Law, The Best Lawyers in America (2018-2024)
- Rising Star, Southern California Super Lawyers, Los Angeles magazine (2013-2018)
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Member, Planning Committee, USC Tax Institute
- Executive Committee Member, Trusts and Estate Section, California Lawyers Association
- Past Chair, Trust and Estates Section, Beverly Hills Bar Association