Henry Yin serves as a trusted advisor to clients in Greater China, U.S. and globally on (i) complex public and private mergers and acquisitions, (ii) full-spectrum corporate and securities matters from private equity/venture capital/emerging companies transactions to IPOs, follow-on offerings, De-SPACs and going-private transactions, (iii) privacy, data protection, cyber and incident response matters, (iv) corporate governance, joint ventures and general corporate matters, and (v) innovative funds and family offices transactions. Henry has helped clients in a diverse array of industry sectors, including technology, life sciences, film, media, financial services, consumer, automotive, big data, e-commerce, software, hardware, education/edtech, manufacturing, fintech, logistics, blockchain, real estate, pharmaceuticals and infrastructure.
I empower innovators and investors, founders, financiers and visionaries.
In addition, Henry regularly advises family offices, founders, significant shareholders and corporate clients in negotiated or contested complex transactions, corporate governance matters, boardroom and transaction strategies, ESOP matters, competitive bidding process, Greater China entry strategies and other technology transactions. Henry closely works with other lawyers of the firm on issues relating to IP, global cybersecurity/data/privacy, dispute resolution, CFIUS/export control, capital markets transactions and tax.
Select examples of Henry’s prior firm experience include:
Public Companies Transactions; Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented a consortium of investors in connection with their acquisition of a NASDAQ-listed production company at an implied enterprise value of approximately U.S.$1 billion.
- Represented a consortium in the U.S.$9.3 billion acquisition of an NYSE-listed software program company.
- Represented an AI-driven health big data firm and the first biotech unicorn in China, in its U.S. $3 billion complex restructuring and cross-border acquisitions and subsequent fundraisings.
- Represented Greater China based listed and private companies in their proposed and completed private and public offshore acquisitions from strategic and financial sellers.
- Represented the shareholders of a cyber-security solutions provider in connection with the sale of the company to an American multinational technology corporation.
- Represented a leading digital consumer goods/Amazon sellers aggregator, in its proposed and completed acquisitions and expansion in Asia.
- Represented a leading technology-driven cryptocurrency mining company, in its acquisitions and JVs in the crypto-mining space.
- Represented a consortium led by a leading private equity firm and the chairman, president and chief executive officer of a leading provider of biopharmaceutical products in China, in the proposed U.S. $401.8 million acquisition of the biopharmaceutical products provider.
- Represented various high growth new economy companies and its founders, significant shareholders in restructurings and exits through M&As, including representing founders of a leading online video content provider in China, in connection with the restructuring and sale of a controlling interest in the business to a leading international mass media company.
- Represented an industrial investment company that seeks long-term commercial growth opportunities in the Information and Communication industries in its U.S. $362 million acquisition of the enterprise business of a leading communications equipment company through a competitive bidding process.
- Represented the special committee of a Chinese fabless chip company specializing in research and development and production and marketing of multimedia processors for personal computers and mobile phones, in connection with the company's going private transaction.
- Represented the selling shareholders of a global online retail company, in connection with the pending sale of approximately 25.66% equity.
- Represented a major Japanese integrated trading and investment business conglomerate in its U.S. $5.3 billion acquisition, including debt from a U.S.-based grains merchant, from owners that include leading hedge funds, in the reorganization of the businesses in connection with the carve-out of its energy business to bring the final deal value down to U.S. $2.7 billion at closing and in its U.S. $620 million sale of a stake in a commodity management firm to a Japanese banking institution.
- Represented a NASDAQ-listed provider of digital map content and navigation and location-based solutions in China, in its acquisition of a venture capital-backed startup focusing on location-based mobile technologies in the United States.
- Represented Chinese state-owned automobile manufacturer as a strategic bidder in an auction of an automotive components manufacturer in the United States and in its proposed acquisition of an electric vehicle automaker in the United States.
- Represented a Fortune 500 American manufacturer of industrial tools and household hardware and provider of security products in its U.S. $850 million acquisition of a Hong Kong-based maker of engineered mechanical fasteners.
- Represented a leading global multi-line reinsurance company in its proposed U.S. $3.4 billion unsolicited acquisition of a leading international reinsurance organization.
- Represented a leading provider of mobile internet software technology and services in its U.S. $251 million acquisition of controlling stake in a leading provider of mobile internet software.
- Represented one of the world's largest reinsurers in its U.S. $750 million acquisition of the holding company of a financial services company’s life reinsurance operations in North America.
- Represented a Japanese multinational conglomerate in proposed transactions involving its multibillion-dollar stake in the world's leading supplier of safe, innovative nuclear technology and transactions with strategic partners.
- Represented a private equity firm in its U.S. $312.3 million acquisition of a 21.7% stake in an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of a Hong Kong-listed company engaged in the research, development, production and sale of single-use medical devices.
- Represented an American biopharmaceutical company in connection with the unsolicited proposal made by a global pharmaceutical company and in its subsequent U.S. $6.8 billion acquisition by an Israeli multinational pharmaceutical company.
- Represented a Japanese producer of tapes, vinyl, LCDs, insulation and other products in the acquisition by its subsidiary, a chemical manufacturer, from an international chemical group.Represented a Mexican conglomerate in its proposed unsolicited acquisition of a company listed on the New York and Mexico stock exchanges, with a market cap in excess of U.S. $1.5 billion.
Pre-IPO Investments; Private Equity and Venture Capital; Family Offices
- Represented an AI-driven health big data firm and the first biotech unicorn in China, in its numerous completed and proposed acquisitions of, investments in and transactions with cutting-edge biotech companies and strategic and financial partners around the globe and its other corporate/commercial matters, including several significant cross-border investments into US and Israel-based companies and undisclosed targets to build an unprecedented ecosystem of the world’s leading bio, health networking, sequencing and AI technology and application companies.
- Represented a cross-border mobile payment service provider in its restructuring and multi-billion-dollar valuation Series D investment by top-tier PE investors.
- Represented a leading online Chinese education group in each of its equity financing rounds, raising hundreds of millions of U.S. dollars from top-tier investors.
- Represented a Beijing-based venture capital firm in private and public investment transactions, including investment in U.S.$600 million Series D financing of a leading self-driving technology company and investment as the lead investor in Series A financing of a biopharmaceutical startup developing target-specific small molecule drugs to treat cancer metastasis.
- Represented a leading electric vehicle charging solutions service provider in its Series D financing.
- Represented a Hong Kong based edtech company in its Series C-1 financing and other corporate matters.
- Represented multiple education and edtech companies in their financings, acquisitions and strategies, restructurings and expansions, including representing a leading online K-12 intelligent education platform in China, in its (i) U.S. $100 million Series D financing by a consortium of investors, (ii) its U.S. $250 million Series E financing by investors, and (iii) other proposed and completed corporate matters.
- Represented an innovative pre-IPO investment platform and its affiliated funds in various completed and proposed direct and indirect investments into unicorn companies.
- Represented a growing venture capital fund in its various investments including investment in various high growth companies.
- Represented an Asian private equity firm in its proposed and completed investments, including in financing of a software company integrating and streamlining private label product development, sourcing and supply chain operations.
- Represented an Amazon brands aggregator in its complex equity and debt financings.
- Represented a leading fund-of-funds platform focusing on venture capital fund and direct investment opportunities in China and Asia in various transactions, including investments in (i) a data processing/marketing company, (ii) an online insurance broker, (iii) a provider of next-generation intelligent data analysis platform and other high growth companies.
- Represented the operator of a Chinese tea franchise in its Series A financing led by a Chinese internet technology company.
- Represented an institutional family office in investments into leading technology companies in various areas including fintech, software, AI and machine learning, real estate tech, wearable technology, autonomous driving, education/edtech, radar sensors, big data, travel platform and media.
- Represented a U.S. semiconductor company in its establishment of joint venture and its local commercialization in China.
- Represented a leading wine rating and e-commerce company, in its establishment of joint venture and its local commercialization in China.
- Represented a leading hospitality technology solutions firm best known for its handy smartphones, in connection with its various proposed and completed transactions, including in its U.S. $125 million growth financing round led by a subsidiary of the world's largest technology manufacturer and service provider, in its joint venture and strategic alliance with a consumer electronics company in Japan and in its ongoing strategic and financial transactions.
- Represented a leading emerging markets private equity fund as the lead investor in a fundraising round by the leading taxi-hailing platform in China. The fundraising raised U.S. $2.5 billion in total. The fundraising round was the largest private fund raising in the world at the time.
- Represented several family offices and billionaires in various undisclosed transactions.
- Represented multiple prominent funds in investments into listed and private education/edtech companies.
- Represented a private equity company in an investment in the largest and fastest growing less-than-truckload (LTL) operator with a franchise model in China.
- Represented a leading courier and logistics services provider in China, in connection with its pre-IPO U.S.$600 million financing round (multibillion-dollar valuation) by a consortium of top U.S., European and PRC PE investors.
- Represented multiple investors in various investments into high growth fintech companies.
- Represented multiple leading real estate tech, co-working and co-living companies in their financings, acquisitions and strategies, restructurings and proposed and completed change of control transactions.
- Represented a financial services corporation in connection with its investment in up to an aggregate amount of U.S.$150 million in certain senior secured notes issuable by a Cayman issuer.
- Represented a private equity company in various completed and proposed investments in and outside of China, including the Series E preferred investment in a leading classified advertisement website in China.
- Represented a leading comprehensive image and video processing service platform in China in its co-investment with a China-focused venture capital firm into the Series B financing of a mobile photo and social app developer.
- Represented a leading real estate investor in various proposed China-related transactions.
- Represented a private banking company in the formation of an offshore U.S. dollar-denominated investment fund with a major state-owned enterprise and one of the largest asset management companies in China, focusing on investments in China and Asia.
- Represented members of a high net worth family in the acquisition of a footwear company, and that footwear company’s acquisition of a children’s clothing business from its parent company.
- Represented a medical device company in the corporate reorganization of its U.S. businesses in connection with the spinoff of its global pharmaceutical and imaging business.
- Duke University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- University of International Relations, B.A.
- New York
- China Fellow, Aspen Institute