In today’s dynamic retail environment, luxury brands are evolving, innovating ways to reach new audiences while remaining true to established brand identities and their longtime client bases.
Loeb’s Luxury Brands lawyers draw upon our deep knowledge of the industry to help luxury designers, luxury retailers and leading luxury brands navigate the opportunities and challenges in today’s marketplace. Our experience representing luxury design houses, high-end department stores, couture designers, clothing brands, jewelers and fragrance companies, among others, gives us an in-depth understanding of the luxury market and how its key trends affect our clients.
We understand luxury. Our interdisciplinary team is composed of lawyers from across nearly every practice in our firm, including Labor/Employment, Real Estate, Corporate, Intellectual Property (IP), Litigation and our unrivaled, fully integrated Advanced Media and Technology department, which focuses on providing strategic and sophisticated brand protection representation, marketing and advertising advice, and privacy counseling and support for data-driven transactions, including an in-depth knowledge of blockchain, cryptocurrency and other fintech that are core components of the burgeoning online retail space. We work strategically to help establish, exploit and protect our clients’ brand and design assets around the globe. Our IP lawyers are leaders in trademark and copyright law, but more importantly, they know how to effectively leverage IP assets through innovative marketing strategies, data-driven advertising and use of social media platforms and influencer marketing. Our integrated IP team is also experienced in luxury trade dress and design patent matters, allowing us to provide holistic brand protection counseling.
Beyond the brand, we also understand your business and offer a host of other transactional and litigation services. Whether you are looking for representation in unique litigation and regulatory matters or e-commerce and technology transactions, or you are looking for real estate counsel or trusted corporate advisers to maximize investment opportunities in this space, Loeb has you covered.
As the industry evolves, we are helping luxury clients take advantage of new opportunities to partner in innovative ways with hotels, restaurants, automobile manufacturers and others to extend their reach and diversify their brands. We’re also working with retailers not traditionally in the luxury space to help them understand how to establish a foothold in this market.
Our core services include:
- Brand protection: trademark, copyright, trade secret, and patent litigation and counseling, with a particular focus on the convergence of brand protection and technology, anti-counterfeiting, and customs enforcement and compliance.
- Advertising and marketing: behavioral targeting, data optimization and digital, mobile and social media campaigns; advice in connection with consumer litigation in state and federal courts, before the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), before state attorneys general and other regulatory bodies, as well as before self-regulatory organizations such as the National Advertising Division.
- Privacy and data: privacy and cybersecurity implications of new communications, marketing and advertising strategies; regulatory and compliance issues related to the collection, storage and use of consumer data, including in connection with interactive marketing campaigns, customer loyalty programs and other transactions involving sensitive consumer information.
- Fintech: mobile payments and digital wallets; virtual and digital currencies, including bitcoin and blockchain technology; non-fungible tokens (NFTs); prepaid, gift and loyalty cards; money transmitter licensing issues; Banking Identification Number (BIN) sponsorship; independent sales organization (ISO) processing, service and technology agreements; government investigations and enforcement actions.
- Corporate and transactional: the full range of corporate transactions and day-to-day business matters, including business opportunity evaluations, setting — and meeting — short- and long-term objectives, determining key courses of action, and executing capital-raising strategies, licensing agreements, joint ventures, acquisitions, divestitures and exit strategies.
- Consumer litigation and regulatory issues: government enforcement actions, regulatory investigations, sustainability initiatives, exotic skin bans and class action lawsuits alleging violations of consumer protection and unfair competition laws; major investigations before the FTC, the U.S. Department of Justice and state attorneys general.
- Outsourcing: technology and outsourcing initiatives related to enterprise expansion, cloud computing and other new technology implementation; technology-enabled transactions, including transactions involving point-of-sale devices, sophisticated payment technologies, merchandising and inventory systems, and supply chain and fulfillment/distribution matters; enterprise information technology solutions to support multichannel retail sales initiatives.
- Real estate transactions and litigation: all aspects of buying, selling, leasing, investing in and developing retail properties of all types; real estate-related disputes and litigation; matters at the intersection of real estate, technology and advertising, including lease and licensing agreements for advertising time on electronic billboards and digital screens located at high-profile properties.