Terence is well versed in the arbitration rules of all key arbitration institutions, including the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC), the China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC), the Shanghai International Arbitration Center (SHIAC), the Beijing Arbitration Commission (BAC), the American Arbitration Association (AAA), the Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services (JAMS), the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC), the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), and the London Maritime Arbitrators Association (LMAA).
With more than 20 years of experience in the region, he has handled disputes for clients throughout Hong Kong, Mainland China, the United States of America, Singapore, England, France, Indonesia, the Middle East, Nigeria, Tanzania, and Venezuela.
Select examples of Terence’s prior firm example includes:
International Arbitration – HKIAC rules
- Represented a listed company in China in an HKIAC arbitration against a Thai company regarding disputes arising from international sale of goods.
- Represented the Hong Kong government in HKIAC arbitration and mediation proceedings related to major infrastructure works in Hong Kong (including bridges, highway and piers).
- Represented large Hong Kong contractors in HKIAC arbitration proceedings on major real estate developments in Hong Kong.
- Represented a London-listed company in an HKIAC arbitration on disputes arising from a joint venture agreement in Mainland China.
- Represented a consortium of financial institutions in an HKIAC arbitration against a group of companies based in Fujian, regarding disputes arising from shares subscription agreement, and shareholders agreement; and in the enforcement of the share charges of Hong Kong companies.
International Arbitration – CIETAC rules
- Represented a global chemical and materials company based and listed in the United States in a CIETAC arbitration in Beijing relating to disputes arising from a sale and purchase agreement for products derived from coal tar.
- Represented a Chinese international contractor in a CIETAC arbitration regarding disputes arising out of an EPC/turnkey contract for a giant entertainment facility in Beijing.
- Represented a Hong Kong company in a CIETAC arbitration on the valuation of variation and outstanding monies for a commercial building construction project in Shanghai.
- Represented a Sino-Russian company in the enforcement of a CIETAC arbitration award in China and Hong Kong against a Chinese state-owned enterprise regarding the international sale of goods.
International Arbitration – SIAC rules
- Represented a Finnish company in a SIAC arbitration on disputes arising from an equity transfer agreement with the Chinese partner.
- Represented a French company in the enforcement of a SIAC arbitration award in China and Hong Kong.
- Represented an Eastern European state-owned enterprise in both SIAC arbitration proceedings and PRC court proceedings on disputes arising from a gas pipeline from Europe to China.
- Represented a U.S. company against one of the biggest airlines in Indonesia regarding disputes arising from termination of a License Agreement which disputes are to be resolved at the SIAC.
International Arbitration – LMAA/ICC/UNCITRAL
- Represented a Chinese company in an LMAA arbitration against a Greek company, as well as on the enforcement of the LMAA arbitration award in England and China.
- Represented a Hong Kong contractor in an ICC arbitration on waste to energy facilities in Hong Kong.
- Represented a U.S. oil company in an arbitration under the UNCITRAL rules on a joint operating agreement for an oil field in China.
- Provided legal advice on an arbitration regarding a shipbuilding project in China.
- Provided legal advice on arbitration proceedings regarding a highway project in Iran for a Chinese international contractor.
- Provided legal advice on arbitration proceedings regarding a mining project in Bangladesh for a Chinese international contractor.
Other Dispute Resolution Mechanisms
- Represented an integrated global provider of treated wood products, wood treatment chemicals and carbon compounds, in its definitive agreement to sell products to a subsidiary of a producer of chemical products.
- Advised China's largest State-Owned Enterprises to resolve disputes arising from projects outside China.
- Advised one of the largest oil companies in China regarding disputes arising from an oil mining lease in Africa.
- University of Queensland
- Hong Kong
- Greater Bay Area (China)
- England and Wales
- Queensland, Australia
- Cantonese Chinese
- Ranked in Who’s Who Legal: Mainland China & Hong Kong SAR in Construction, published by Law Business Research (2022)
- Named in Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business, in Construction and Arbitration (2013-2019)
- Named one of “China’s Elite 100 Lawyers (Foreign Firms)” in the 2019 edition of the “A-List” published by China Business Law Journal
- Named a "Dispute Resolution Star” in International Arbitration by Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific (2019-2020)
- Named "Best Lawyer" in Arbitration and Mediation (International Firms) and Construction Law (International Firms), The Best Lawyers in America, published by Woodward White, Inc. (2020)
- Recognized in the 2019 and 2020 Acritas Stars lists.
- Member, Hong Kong Law Society
- Member, Law Society of England and Wales
- Member, Queensland Law Society
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (East Asia Branch)