Robin Waters leads a strategic litigation practice focused on government investigations and complex criminal cases in both the state and federal courts. She defends individuals investigated or charged with white collar fraud offenses, public corruption, narcotics, and firearms offenses, and has significant experience handling cases involving highly sensitive information, maintaining an active Security Clearance with the Department of Justice in order to represent defendants in federal criminal cases involving classified information.
Clients also turn to Robin for representation in civil matters, including RICO and False Claims Act defense, international extradition, and denaturalization matters. Most notably, Robin successfully represented a Syrian physician stranded abroad by the Trump Administration’s Executive Order regarding foreign travel, securing his return to the United States.
Robin maintains an active pro bono practice, representing individuals in select state and federal criminal matters involving national security, surveillance, and First and Fourth Amendment issues. In this capacity, she has litigated complex national security and surveillance issues, including under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) and the Classified Information Procedures Act (CIPA). Notably, Robin has participated in the representation of a Guantanamo Bay detainee in habeas and Periodic Review Board proceedings as part of her pro bono practice.
During law school, Robin served as a clerk at a civil rights law firm specializing in police misconduct, where she assisted in the representation of individuals in § 1983 civil rights litigation. She also served as an extern at the Federal Defender Program in the Northern District of Illinois, where she assisted in the representation of indigent defendants in federal criminal cases.
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., CALI Awards for Excellence in Criminal Procedure Adjudication, Trial Practice II, and Professional Responsibility
- Northern Illinois University, B.A., summa cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of North Dakota
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Member, Chicago Council on Global Affairs