Nerissa Coyle McGinn’s practice focuses on matters involving the convergence of advertising and promotions, emerging media, technology, privacy and intellectual property law. She has particular experience advising on matters involving the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) and the Children’s Advertising Review Unit (CARU).
Nerissa works with many of the best-known brands in the country, including H&R Block and the Wm. Wrigley Jr. Co. and its confection brands. Embracing a business-minded approach, she helps clients develop new brand assets and assists them in promoting and advertising their brands and products.
Clients — including Turner Broadcasting and its programming properties, for which she handles trademark clearances for new shows, web properties, interstitials and sweepstakes — regularly turn to Nerissa for trademark counseling services.
I try to anticipate issues and provide innovative, effective solutions expeditiously for my clients.
In the advertising and promotions facet of her practice, she works with clients on sweepstakes review, copy review, and promotion design and fulfillment, with an emphasis on internet and interactive advertising and promotions.
Her diverse roster of clients includes advertising agencies, large corporations, and professional sports teams including the New York Giants, the Chicago Bulls and the Detroit Red Wings.
Nerissa also provides legal services for digital companies and app developers, handling a variety of IP matters and privacy policies and practices relating to websites and mobile applications.
As a thought leader in her industry, Nerissa frequently speaks at events and conferences. She also serves as the firm’s first chief diversity partner and co-chair of the Diversity Committee, overseeing and revamping diversity policies and initiatives.
- Harvard Law School, J.D., cum laude
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.A., magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Named "Illinois Super Lawyer" in Intellectual Property and Media and Advertising by Thomson Reuters (2014-2021)
- Named among “Top Lawyers in Illinois” in Intellectual Property Law, Advertising & Media Law, Arts, Entertainment & Sports Law, and Copyright & Trademark Law by the Leading Lawyers Network (2012-2018)
- Named in The Legal 500 US in Technology: Data Protection and Privacy, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2013 edition)
- Named an “IP Star” by Managing Intellectual Property magazine (2013-2021); Listed in "IP Stars-Top 250 Women in IP" (2013)
- Named among "Top 100 Under 50 Diverse Executive Leaders" by Diversity MBA Magazine (2015)
- Co-Chair of the Tomorrow’s Leader Award Sub-Committee, International Trademark Association
- Member, Promotions Marketing Association
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
- Member, Asian-American Bar Association
- Former Adjunct Professor, Intellectual Property Legal Writing; U.S. Advertising Law, John Marshall Law School
- Former Instructor, Undergraduate Trial Advocacy, University of Illinois