Richard Lorenzo has over 30 years of experience in the energy industry, antitrust and complex litigation. He has extensive experience in federal and state courts and at both the state and federal level, has been involved in every type of regulatory proceeding, from rate cases to rulemakings to prudence investigations involving over $10 billion in assets. He successfully defended Central Maine Power Company in a suit filed by FPL Energy Maine to void its $850 million contract to purchase CMP’s generation assets.
Richard has also been actively involved in FERC's enforcement authority, including its antimarket manipulation and reliability rules. He was a key player in FERC's RTO, transmission pricing and other competitive market initiatives. He has worked on projects involving all types of transmission and generation, including coal, gas, hydro, wind and nuclear. He was at the forefront of FERC's successful effort to unbundle the natural gas industry through Orders 436, 500 and 636.
Recently, he successfully tried three state rate cases for a multijurisdictional utility and was lead counsel in a major FERC matter involving the allocation of transmission enhancements. The latter required him to manage a dozen co-parties, while coordinating the FERC action with state matters.
- Columbia University, LL.M.
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D.
- State University of New York at Albany, B.S.
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- New York
- District of Columbia
- Named "Lawyer of the Year" in Energy Law for New York City by The Best Lawyers in America (2022)
- Named "Best Lawyer" in Energy Law, The Best Lawyers in America, published by Woodward White, Inc. (2015-2023)
- Named to the District of Columbia Courts' Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll (2019 and 2021)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, Energy Bar Association
- Member, Nuclear Energy Institute, Lawyer's Committee