Lynia Lau is a preeminent lawyer in the energy, natural resources and infrastructure sectors, bringing more than 30 years of experience in cross-border M&A transactions, project development, project finance and government regulatory related matters.
Lynia is a seasoned advisor to some of the largest project sponsors and companies across the infrastructure, energy, corporate, banking and finance sectors worldwide. She has also provided representation on outbound investment, capital financing, financial regulation and outbound M&A to various China-based companies including State Owned Enterprises (SOEs), listed companies and private enterprises.
Widely considered a thought leader in her field, Lynia is a contributing editor for the monthly journal International Energy Law & Taxation Review published by Sweet & Maxwell. She also serves as an Adjunct Professor of Hong Kong Financial Services Institute and Hong Kong Wenhui Management College.
Prior to starting her private practice, Lynia was served as a senior commercial director with BP, AMOCO and SINOPEC, accumulating more than 25 years’ solid industrial experience in M&A transactions, project development, project finance and government regulatory related matters.
Select examples of Lynia’s prior firm experience include:
- Advised a state-owned energy group as a leader on the purchase of upstream LNG gas source, including advising and drafting tendering documents and drafting, negotiating and reviewing the HOA, SPA and related agreements.
- Advised project sponsors and project company on FSR, EIA, Tendering of LNG suppliers and EPC contractors, JV structures, EPC, 25 years HOA, SPA, GSA, project finance, project implantation and potential disputes in various stages.
- Advised a state-owned petroleum company as the lead lawyer on its Northern LNG import terminal and pipeline project from the project starting stage.
- Advised an international energy company on its purchase of natural gas from Indonesia's South Natuna Sea.
- Advised a state-owned energy company as the lead lawyer in one of the largest upstream acquisition bids in Australia.
- Advised the Indonesian Corridor Block on the sale of gas for a period of 17 years.
- Advised one of the largest upstream oil and gas group in Japan on its PSCs and JOAs, gas sales agreements and the related documents in one of the largest Indonesian oil and gas fields.
- Advised one of the largest Mainland China power group as the lead lawyer on its investments on two IPP projects in Indonesia, which is also one of the largest power projects for the Mainland China investors.
- Advised a power group listing in Canada its IPP project in Mongolia.
- Advised a listed power company in Shanghai as the lead lawyer on its proposed acquisition of four IPP projects in Indonesia.
- Advised a leading international oil and gas company on the financing of gas-fired power station, one of the major IPP established in Vietnam.
- Advised on the BOT power project as project sponsors from the early bidding stage to the winning and completion stage.
- Advised an international state-owned clean energy group on its first overseas investment of a hydropower project in South America.
- Advised an international joint-venture company on the first foreign investment in the gas transmission sector in Indonesia under its new oil and gas law.
- Advised a listed company as the lead lawyer on developing partnership in Greater China area for the direct investment, project finance of new pipeline projects in Canada.
- Advised a project investor on its Cement related Project invested in Tanzania and Kenya, including structuring, term sheet, financial documents, etc.
- Advised a Hong Kong listed company within one of the largest state-owned holding group as the lead lawyer on related M&A projects and direct investment in Mainland China.
- Advised the governments as chief lawyer on a bridge project which consists of a link between the three provinces by bridges, tunnels and a number of facilities on artificial islands in the Greater Bay area.
- Advised the consortium of bidding for the construction of the permanent aviation fuel facility franchise.
- Advised a leading state-owned investment and construction group on its contracting with a Highway PPP Project in Albania.
- Advised an integrated state-owned group as the lead lawyer in Tanzania for a Portside Industrial Zone including container terminal, highway and rail project.
- Peking University (Beijing, China), Ph.D.
- University of London, LL.B.
- Deakin University, MCom
- Chinese University of Hong Kong, B.B.A.
- Hong Kong
- England and Wales
- Named in The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific in Construction (Hong Kong) (2019-2020)
- Named in The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific in Project and Energy (Hong Kong) (2016-2018)
- Named in The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific in Corporate (including M&A) (Hong Kong) (2016)
- Named in Chambers Asia-Pacific, in China Energy & Natural Resources (International Firms) (2014-2018)