Carol Kaplan is an entertainment attorney with a specialty in live theater, as well as a media attorney with experience advising on licensing, acquisition, disposition, financing and exploitation of intellectual property assets within and across multiple platforms.
Carol works with experienced and first-time theater producers in the commercial and nonprofit sectors, providing general counsel and deal-specific legal advice relating to developing, producing and exploiting traditional and non-traditional live stage properties. She advises creative producers on acquiring rights; engaging creative, management and key production personnel; creating joint ventures with co-producers; as well as preparing and advising on investment documents and preferred investor terms. Carol also represents commercial theater investors, authors, directors, underlying rights holders and others in connection with creative services and rights agreements. She has excellent relationships in the theater industry and worked in the field prior to becoming a lawyer.
Carol’s practice also includes film, television and new media transactions. She was a production attorney in the business and legal affairs department at Nickelodeon for almost two years, handling rights acquisition and creative services agreements as well as turnkey production agreements for serial and long form television, and she continues to represent clients in broadcast and cable television transactions. She also handles feature film screenplay agreements, life story rights and other underlying rights option/purchase agreements in film and television, and represents independent film, documentary film and television producers.
- New York University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, Member of the Order of the Coif, Editor-in-Chief, NYU Law Review
- Yale School of Drama, M.F.A.
- Universities of Natal and Cape Town, B.A., cum laude
- New York
- Named in Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business, in New York Media & Entertainment: Theatre (2018-2019 editions)
- Named "Top Dealmaker" in Variety's "Dealmakers Impact Report" (2017)
- Named "New York Metro Super Lawyer" in Entertainment and Sports by Thomson Reuters (2017-2019)
- Named in The Legal 500 US in Media & Entertainment, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2019)
- Member, New York City Bar Association