Carol Kaplan is an entertainment lawyer with extensive live theater experience covering all aspects of development, production and subsequent exploitation, as well as significant experience advising media clients in connection with acquisition, disposition, financing and exploitation of intellectual property assets within and across multiple platforms.
Carol works with experienced and first-time commercial theater producers providing general counsel and deal-specific legal advice relating to developing, producing and exploiting traditional and non-traditional live stage properties. She also advises independent and major institutional producers in connection with acquiring rights; engaging creative, management and key production personnel; creating joint ventures; as well as preparing investment documents and advising on preferred investor terms. Carol’s commercial theatre practice includes representing high level theater investors and co-producers, as well as authors, directors, underlying rights holders and others whom she advises on creative services and rights agreements. Carol also works closely with colleagues in Loeb & Loeb's Tax-Exempt Organizations practice, and has advised leading non-profit theaters in New York City and other markets for almost two decades. She has excellent relationships in the theater industry and worked in the field prior to becoming a lawyer.
Carol’s media practice covers film, television and new media transactions. She was a production lawyer in the business and legal affairs department at Nickelodeon for almost two years, handling rights acquisition and creative services agreements as well as turnkey production agreements for serial and long form television, and she currently represents television broadcasters, cable channels and streaming platforms in connection with content acquisition deals, as well as disposition of rights in their proprietary content to third parties. She also handles high level deals on behalf of content owners who are licensing rights to media companies. Carol also advises clients on feature film screenplay agreements, life story rights and other underlying rights option/purchase agreements, and represents independent film, documentary film and television producers.
- 纽约大学法学院, 法学博士, cum laude, Member of the Order of the Coif, Editor-in-Chief, NYU Law Review
- Yale School of Drama, M.F.A.
- Universities of Natal and Cape Town, 文学学士, cum laude
- Named in Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business, in New York Media & Entertainment: Theatre (2018-2021)
- Named "Top Dealmaker" in Variety's "Dealmakers Impact Report" (2017)
- Named "New York Metro Super Lawyer" in Entertainment and Sports by Thomson Reuters (2017-2019)
- Named in The Legal 500 US in Media & Entertainment, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2019-2021)
- Member, New York City Bar Association