Over the past 25 years, Brian Heidelberger has represented a multitude of the nation’s most revered brands and agencies in the marketing of their products and services. Recognized as Chicago “Lawyer of the Year” in Advertising Law by Best Lawyers and cited by Chambers USA as a “practical solutions-oriented lawyer” and an “expert in the field of advertising,” Brian is sought after by clients for his cutting-edge legal and industry knowledge, responsiveness and creativity.
His diverse skill set includes providing advice and guidance in the following areas.
- Advertising: Clearance, claim substantiation, music/talent/sponsorship licensing, branded entertainment, agency/client agreements, children’s advertising, regulated industries, and Screen Actors Guild matters
- Promotions: Sweepstakes, contests, coupons, rebates, gift cards, loyalty programs, event/cause/entertainment marketing, and related transactions
- Privacy: All consumer privacy law issues, such as e-mail marketing, text messaging, behavioral advertising, and marketing to children
- New/Social Media: Social media, native advertising, user-generated content, mobile marketing, e-commerce, and domain names
- Web3: NFTs, cryptocurrency, digital tokens, metaverse, and DAOs
- Media/Digital Marketing: Media agency and technology agreements, including media buying, planning, placement, SaaS and PaaS, programmatic advertising services, targeted advertising, cloud-based platforms and tools, data-driven marketing agreements, and e-commerce
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution: False and misleading advertising, copyright and trademark infringement, right of publicity and cybersquatting, including FTC, AG, NAD, SAG, and UDRP actions
- Trademark, Copyright, and Right of Publicity: Clearance, protection, licensing and maintenance of trademarks, copyrights, domain names, and other intellectual property
- Entertainment, Sports and Gaming: Assistance to brands, media and producers in the areas of motion pictures, television, podcasts, games and events
- Athletes and Agents: Assistance to athletes and entertainers in the areas of trusts and estates, corporate matters, nonprofit foundations, intellectual property, domain names, and sponsorship
Brian is a frequent speaker, writer and creator of the popular Mini Law Lessons video series addressing topics related to brand marketing, promotions and intellectual property.
Outside of his practice, he is a founding member of Allies of Innocence, a nonprofit that provides free trauma and grief counselling to children and families affected by gun violence in Chicago.
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D.
- Indiana University at Bloomington, B.A.
- Named "Lawyer of the Year" in Advertising Law for Chicago by The Best Lawyers in America (2022)
- Recommended in World Trademark Review 1000 United States - Illinois (2020-2021), WTR is part of The IP Media Group
- Named "Super Lawyer" in Media & Advertising by Thomson Reuters (2008-2010, 2013-2021)
- Named "Best Lawyer" in Advertising Law, The Best Lawyers in America, published by Woodward White, Inc. (2019-2022)
- Named among “Top Lawyers in Illinois” in Advertising & Media, Intellectual Property, and Arts, Entertainment & Sports Law by the Leading Lawyers Network (2004-2018)
- Named in Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business, in Nationwide Advertising: Transactional & Regulatory and Illinois Media & Entertainment: Transactional (2018-2021 editions)
- Named a "Leading Lawyer" by The Legal 500 U.S. in Advertising and Marketing, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2017-2021)
- Named “Chicago – Advertising Lawyer of the Year,” Best Lawyers