David Grace is a leader in the field of brand protection, intellectual property, entertainment and advertising, providing both transactional and dispute resolution services. For more than 30 years, Dave has helped clients develop, cultivate and protect their brands and intellectual property rights from creation to globalization. He assists a wide spectrum of clients, from startups to iconic brands and Fortune 500 companies, including entertainment and media companies, major financial institutions, technology and consumer product companies, and famous celebrities.
Dave’s practice focuses on dispute resolution and litigation involving trademarks, rights of publicity and persona, copyrights, unfair competition, false advertising, fair use, domain names, entertainment contracts, trade secrets, and patents. He appears regularly before the federal courts and the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, handles domain name dispute resolution proceedings, manages foreign litigation, and is retained by third parties as a neutral mediator to facilitate mutually beneficial compromises and settle disputes.
I enjoy helping clients resolve their problems and build their businesses. My hope and goal is that my holistic perspective and strategic approach will enable my clients and friends to achieve the best solutions possible for their personal and business needs.
On the transactional side of his practice, Dave assists clients with the acquisition, development and licensing of brands, intellectual property and entertainment rights. He provides strategic counseling with respect to domestic and international intellectual property protection, supervises the prosecution of domestic and foreign trademark applications, and audits and manages intellectual property portfolios. He negotiates significant trademark, endorsement, copyright and entertainment agreements; provides strategic advice with respect to internet, advertising, packaging, privacy and risk management issues; and helps clients close their corporate and other acquisitions involving intellectual property and entertainment rights.
Dave is a frequent speaker and an active participant in professional organizations such as the International Trademark Association and the Los Angeles Copyright Society. He has been honored repeatedly for his experience, skill and responsiveness by legal publications.
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D.
- George Mason University, B.S., With Highest Distinction
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Florida Court of Appeal
- Named "Best Lawyer" in Intellectual Property Litigation, The Best Lawyers in America, published by Woodward White, Inc (2016-2020)
- Named in Expert Guides' "Best of the Best USA" in the Trademark practice area (2015-2019)
- Named an “IP Star” by Managing Intellectual Property magazine (2013-2019)
- Recommended in World Trademark Review 1000 United States - California (2011-2019), WTR is part of The IP Media Group
- Named in Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business, in California Intellectual Property: Trademark, Copyright & Trade Secrets (2011-2015 editions)
- Named "Southern California Super Lawyer" in Intellectual Property Litigation, Intellectual Property, Entertainment & Sports by Thomson Reuters (2006, 2009-2019)
- Named in The Legal 500 US in Trademarks: Litigation, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2017-2019)
- Named one of the "World's Leading Trademark Lawyers" in Who's Who Legal (2013-2019)
- Named in Guide to World's Leading Trademark Law Practitioners, published by Euromoney's Legal Media Group (2014, 2009)
- Named in US Best Trademark Law Firms and California's Best General Intellectual Property Law Firms in Innovation - Technology & Intellectual Property Report, published by Leaders League (2012)
- Highest "AV Preeminent (5 out of 5)" Professional Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- After-School All-Stars, Marketing Advisory Board, Member
- International Trademark Association (INTA), Chair of Outreach Committee of Right of Publicity Committee (2018-present); Chair of Right of Publicity Subcommittee (2010-2016); Co-Chair of 2009 Annual Meeting; Various other leadership positions
- INTA Panel of Trademark Mediators, Member
- Los Angeles Copyright Society, Member
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- International Cannabis Bar Association, Member