Sophia Mei-Ling Chang has a diverse real estate practice representing governmental entities, health care providers, investors, developers and other property owners in all aspects of acquisitions, sales, options, leases, financing, joint ventures and land use matters. She also represents commercial lenders in real estate financings. Sophia has extensive experience working with governmental entities and private developers to create public infrastructure, provide affordable housing and create development opportunities.
She previously served as a commissioner for the West Los Angeles Area Planning Commission. In that capacity, she was responsible for making regional planning decisions and reviewing zoning administrator decisions. She also evaluated applications and appeals for conditional use permits, land use entitlements, zone changes, subdivisions, and community specific plans.
Sophia is deeply involved in the community and has worked with a number of nonprofit organizations in the Los Angeles area. She currently serves on the board of directors for the Barlow Respiratory Hospital Foundation, whose primary mission is to support Barlow Respiratory Hospital. Founded in 1902, Barlow Respiratory Hospital is the only not-for-profit long-term acute care hospital in California. Sophia is also the co-founder and former executive director of Dancing Classrooms Los Angeles, which provided arts-in-education social development programs to elementary school students. In addition, she served as a staff attorney for the Center for Law in the Public Interest, where she developed legal and policy strategies to advocate for under-represented communities in Los Angeles.
- Harvard Law School, J.D.
- Harvard University’s John F. Kennedy School of Government, M.P.A., Co-Editor in Chief, Asian American Policy Review
- University of California at Los Angeles, B.A., summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- Hon. Dolly M. Gee, U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- Hon. J. Spencer Letts, U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- Board of Directors, Barlow Respiratory Hospital Foundation
- Founder, Former Executive Director, Dancing Classrooms Los Angeles
- Vice Chair, Los Angeles County Bar Association Committee on Diversity in the Profession
- Member, Nonprofit Organizations Committee, California State Bar Business Law Section
- Former Member, California State Bar Committee on Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Former Co-Chair, Board of Directors, Asian Pacific American Dispute Resolution Center
- Associates’ Board, Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles
- UCLA Alumni Bunche Scholarships