Mitch Nussbaum is the vice chair of Loeb & Loeb and serves as co-chair of the firm’s Capital Markets and Corporate Department. His practice focuses on representing emerging growth companies and investment banks in initial public offerings, follow-on public offerings, shelf takedowns, registered direct placements, PIPEs and other private placements (144A, Reg D, Reg A, Reg S, etc.). Mitch also regularly represents public companies regarding their SEC and NYSE or Nasdaq listing compliance and has acted as outside general counsel, including corporate, securities, M&A litigation and business counseling, to hundreds of private and public companies as well as their officers and directors. He also negotiates and documents acquisitions, mergers, going-private transactions, reverse mergers, proxy contests, tender offers, control contests, fund formations and secured lending financings and has represented issuers and underwriters in more than 100 SPAC public offerings and business combinations. Mitch was responsible for developing the groundbreaking IPAC, which features many of the benefits of the SPAC, but offers increased flexibility on pricing and deal structure, along with a more rapid transaction cycle.
According to the IPO Vital Signs league tables, in most of the past 10 years, Mitch has been ranked as one of the top five attorneys in the country based on the number of public offerings he has completed on behalf of issuers or underwriters. Mitch has also been named among the top attorneys in the areas of corporate and M&A law in the Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business.
Mitch and the Capital Markets Department routinely work seamlessly with colleagues in Loeb & Loeb’s Advanced Media and Technology, Life Sciences, Intellectual Property, Energy and Tax practices to provide depth and sophistication in those areas during completion of capital markets or corporate transactions.
In addition to his work with a broad array of U.S.-based companies in areas such as technology, life sciences and energy, Mitch’s practice has always been international in scope, representing companies from such countries as Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, Greece, India, Israel, Russia, South Africa and the United Kingdom in capital markets, mergers and acquisitions and other transactions within the United States. Most notably, Mitch is widely recognized as one of the pioneers of capital markets and mergers and acquisitions transactions for Chinese companies. He has represented many of the first privately held Chinese and Asian companies to list on the U.S. exchanges and, over the course of his practice, has represented more than 100 Asian companies that have listed on U.S. exchanges, as well as many Chinese-based companies that have been engaged in acquisitions in the United States. His broad experience counseling Asian companies includes helping these clients prepare for and respond to investigations and litigation as well as representing companies, special committees or independent directors involved in going-private transactions. Among his many distinctions, Mitch was ranked by Thomson Reuters as the No. 1 IPO lawyer for companies headquartered in China, based on deals closed between 2008 and 2012. Mitch’s activities in Asia over the years resulted in his spearheading and orchestrating the opening of Loeb & Loeb’s offices in Beijing and Hong Kong, and he continues to chair the firm’s Asia Practice.
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D.,
Member, Syracuse University Law Review
- University of Rochester, B.A.
- New York
- Named in Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business, in New York Corporate/M&A (2011-2013 editions)
- Ranked Number One IPO Lawyer for companies headquartered in China by Thomson Reuters (2008-2010)
- Ranked Number Two IPO Underwriter's Lawyer by IPO Vital Signs Leadership Rankings (2010)
- Named "New York Metro Super Lawyer" in Securities & Corporate Finance by Thomson Reuters (2006-2015, 2018)
- Named as a “Leading Lawyer” in The Legal 500 US in Mergers & Acquisitions: Middle-Market, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2016-2019)
- Ranked Number Two IPO Issuer's and Underwriter's Lawyer by IPO Vital Signs Leadership Rankings (2008)
- Ranked Number Five IPO Issuer's Lawyer by IPO Vital Signs Leadership Rankings (2007)
- Named in "40 Under 40 – Making Their Mark" by IDD Magazine (December 2007)
- Ranked Number One IPO Issuer's Lawyer by IPO Vital Signs Leadership Rankings (2006)