Robert Kouchoukos represents clients in the sports, entertainment and media industries in connection with a broad range of corporate, commercial, intellectual property and technology transactions.
He advises on transactions involving the production, licensing, publishing, distribution and marketing of music, movies, TV shows, video games and related software applications across various digital platforms and media. Robert has significant experience negotiating and drafting recording, music publishing, music catalog sale and acquisition, film, television and videogame production and financing, joint venture, talent, influencer, rights of publicity, live performance, merchandising, marketing, sponsorship and endorsement agreements.
He also maintains an active intellectual property practice, counseling clients on the clearance, prosecution, registration, licensing and enforcement of copyrights and trademarks. He also negotiates and drafts patent, trade secret, software, technology and data licensing agreements.
Robert brings a unique perspective to his work, having previously served as Vice President of Business and Legal Affairs at Smule, Inc., a VC backed tech start-up focusing on music video based social media mobile apps and platforms with millions of users worldwide. He has also held in-house digital media counsel roles at Sony Interactive Entertainment and BlackBerry.
Select examples of Robert's prior experience include:
- Represented Grammy nominated music producers for numerous major label hip hop, pop and R&B artists.
- Represented live Internet television service in negotiation of programming agreements with television networks, professional sports leagues and new media companies.
- Represented digital music and video services in negotiation of music public performance and mechanical licensing agreements with U.S. and foreign collection societies and advised on related international copyright clearance matters (e.g., neighboring and equitable remuneration rights).
- Represented leading video game studios on music production, distribution, publishing and licensing transactions and related union and guild agreement compliance matters.
- Represented first-to-market video game streaming service in negotiation of unprecedented blanket music license agreements with U.S. and foreign collection societies.
- Represented entertainment event producer in securing rights to stream its live music concerts via various digital media services.
- Advised videogame play sharing technology developer on matters relating to the creation, licensing and exploitation of user generated content (including music) via various social media platforms, and safe harbor compliance for ISPs.
- Content licensing and e-commerce counsel for leading mobile phone manufacturer’s digital music and video download and streaming services, app store and mobile messaging platform.
- Counsel for entertainment company producing live musical stage shows on the Las Vegas strip and a reality television series that aired on Telemundo.
- Represented leading promoter of mixed martial arts competitions in negotiation of television production and distribution, music licensing, merchandising and fighter agreements.
- Represented producers of North America’s largest annual Caribbean music festival.
- Counsel for company producing U.S. version of popular UK television program highlighting the best homes and travel destinations across the world.
- Represented company operating a live music venue and producing feature length documentaries and live concert films.
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D.
- Carleton College, B.A.