Safia Gray Hussain is a commercial litigator, focusing her practice on entertainment, copyright, trademark and other intellectual property disputes. She has handled entertainment and contract-based claims involving motion picture distribution and sales agreements, claims involving alleged infringement of creative elements including screenplays and concept art, claims stemming from the unauthorized use of celebrity likenesses and protected IP to promote product sales, defamation claims arising from press releases and conferences, and the recovery of awards statuettes. She also has experience in a diverse range of business and media disputes, including breach of contract, false advertising, fraud, unfair competition, regulatory violations, class action defense, and other complex litigation matters.
Safia regularly argues pre-trial and discovery motions in court and arbitration proceedings, and has appeared to numerous court proceedings to advocate for resolution and favorable settlement of class claims. She has extensive experience preparing dispositive and discretionary motions, successfully obtaining the early dismissal of numerous claims and cases on the pleadings.
Prior to law school, Safia worked in professional theatre and the motion picture industry in various capacities. This experience and perspective are invaluable to her practice, which she leverages in assisting clients and addressing their unique concerns and needs.
- Legal Extern, The Honorable James C. Francis IV, Southern District of New York (Fall 2005)
- Legal Intern, Office of the Attorney General, Criminal Prosecutions Bureau, Strike Force (Summer 2005)
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- University of Oklahoma, B.F.A., with honors
- University of Oklahoma, B.A., summa cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- New York
- Board Member, Constitutional Rights Foundation