John T. Frankenheimer's practice is centered in the entertainment and media industries, with emphasis on both institutional and talent clients. This includes advising on the acquisition, sale and restructuring of companies, including financing, valuation, securitization and due diligence issues, as well as representing companies, artists and executives in all aspects of the music industry, including all forms of talent contracts, distribution, licensing, technology-related issues, publishing, sub-publishing, touring and live events and production activities. He also represents writers, producers and directors in both film and television, as well as various technology and media companies.
John’s principal clients include record companies and distributors; multinational and independent music publishers; internationally recognized recording and touring artists; new media and technology companies; financial institutions and investors; television writers, producers and directors; and motion picture writers and producers. He also represents both major and emerging companies in structuring, financing, licensing and M&A activities with regard to Internet, wireless and new media projects.
John speaks frequently on entertainment law–related topics and has given presentations at the University of California, Los Angeles School of Law; the University of Southern California School of Law; the University of Miami School of Law; Tulane University School of Law; the California Copyright Society; and the New York State C.P.A./Entertainment Forum as well as numerous industry-sponsored events and seminars.
- University of California at Los Angeles School of Law, J.D.
- Claremont McKenna College, B.S., With Honors
- Named in The Legal 500 US in Media & Entertainment, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2017-2018 editions)
- Received 2017 Power of Law award from Variety (2017)
- Named among "Most Powerful Music Attorneys" by Billboard (2014-2018)
- Named in "Billboard Power 100" list of the most powerful people in the music business, Billboard.biz (2012 and 2013)
- Named "Top Dealmaker" in Variety's “Dealmakers Impact Report” (2009-2010 and 2012-2013)
- Named among top entertainment attorneys in Variety's “Legal Impact Report" (2012, 2019)
- Named in The Hollywood Reporter's "Power Lawyers" list (2007-2016)
- Named "Los Angeles Music Lawyer of the Year," Best Lawyers (2012)
- Named "Best Lawyer" in Entertainment Law, The Best Lawyers in America, published by Woodward White, Inc. (1987-2019)
- Received highest ranking in Chambers USA 2011-2019 editions, America's Leading Lawyers for Business, in California Media & Entertainment (also recognized in 2005-2010 editions)
- Named one of "L.A.'s Top 100 Lawyers" in the Los Angeles Business Journal’s “Who’s Who in L.A. Law” (2009 and 2007)
- Named among "Top Entertainment Lawyers" in California by the Daily Journal (2014, 2018)
- Received the 2011 Entertainment Law Initiative (ELI) Service Award from the GRAMMY Foundation®
- Named an “IP Star” by Managing Intellectual Property magazine (2013-2018)
- Honored by JVS with their "Leadership Award" for community support (2010)
- Honored by The Saban Free Clinic for his continued support of the institution (2009)
- Named in The Legal 500 US in Media, Technology and Telecoms: Film, Music and TV and Mergers, Acquisitions and Buyouts, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2007, 2008, 2019)
- Named "Southern California Super Lawyer" in Entertainment & Sports, Intellectual Property and Mergers & Acquisitions by Thomson Reuters (2004-2019)
- Received highest "AV Preeminent (5 out of 5)" Professional Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory (1985-2017)
- Received Torch of Liberty Award for Community Service, ACLU of Southern California (2004)
- Served as Adjunct Professor of Law, Tulane School of Law (2000–2002 and 2004)
- Named Spirit of Music "Man of the Year," Entertainment and Media Communications Division, UJA Federation of New York (2000)
- Board Member Emeritus, Board Member (1979-2009) and former Co-Chair, Advisory Board, Entertainment Symposium, UCLA School of Law
- Board Member, UCLA Law, Ziffren Center for Entertainment, Media, Sports and Technology
- Executive Board Member, Music and Entertainment Industry Chapter, City of Hope (former national campaign Chair, former President and Chairman)
- National Board of Trustees, City of Hope (2005-2010)
- Board of Governors, Fulfillment Fund (2010-2013)
- Founding Member, Advisory Board (2000-2017), Entertainment Law Initiative, National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (Chair, 2002–2004)