Marc Chamlin is known for working across multiple legal and business disciplines in the media and digital industries, representing television, film and digital media companies, as well as actors, directors, writers, book authors and other high-level talent in the full spectrum of transactional entertainment matters.
Marc’s practice includes structuring and negotiating complex investments, joint ventures, and corporate and licensing transactions for iconic media personalities, legacy literary and intellectual properties, and privately held and institutional media companies. Marc also provides confidential counseling to C-suite media executives in connection with their employment contracts.
A veteran dealmaker and chair of the firm’s Television Practice, Marc provides counsel for nonscripted/reality and scripted series development, production and distribution across cable, broadcast and digital platforms, and regularly handles production, licensing and distribution arrangements for animated and live-action productions, podcasts and documentary films. Marc also advises institutional and talent clients in connection with merchandising, licensing, sponsorship, and endorsement deals.
Marc’s unique breadth of experience is illustrated through his representation of Oprah Winfrey and her company, Harpo, in connection with a broad initiative of investments and strategic partnerships reflecting her business interests and personal philosophy. Marc has advised Ms. Winfrey in a groundbreaking investment and strategic partnership with Weight Watchers International, a joint venture with The Kraft Heinz Company to create a new line of nutritious food products, an investment in and strategic advisory agreement with healthy food restaurant brand, True Food Kitchen, and a multi-year content partnership with Apple to create original programming utilizing Apple technology and services.
Marc has been recognized for his deep influence in the entertainment industry by such publications as Chambers USA, Variety and Broadcasting & Cable. In addition to his practice, he serves on the board of trustees of the venerable New York Public Radio and leads the firm’s pro bono work for the organization’s WNYC Studios and its innovative initiatives as a leading creator of podcasts.
- New York University School of Law, J.D.,
Research Editor, Annual Survey of American Law
- Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, A.B., magna cum laude
- New York
- Named among top entertainment attorneys in Variety's "Legal Impact Report" (2019)
- Named in The Hollywood Reporter's "Power Lawyers" list (2018)
- Named in The Legal 500 US in Media & Entertainment, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2017-2020)
- Named "Top Dealmaker" in Variety's " Dealmakers Impact Report" (2015, 2017-2018)
- Received highest ranking in Chambers USA 2010-2017 editions, America's Leading Lawyers for Business, in New York Media & Entertainment: Film & Television (also recognized in 2006-2010, 2018-2020 editions)
Named "Best Lawyer" in Entertainment Law, The Best Lawyers in America, published by Woodward White, Inc. (2008-2020)
Named "New York Metro Super Lawyer" in Entertainment & Sports by Thomson Reuters (2007-2019)
Highest "AV Preeminent (5 out of 5)" Professional Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- Board of Trustees, New York Public Radio