Brent Babcock is the chair of Loeb & Loeb’s PTAB Trials Practice Group. He represents high-technology clients in every aspect of intellectual property disputes, focusing on federal district court litigation throughout the country, trials and post-grant patent proceedings before the USPTO’s Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) (formerly the Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences), ex parte appeals before the PTAB, and alternative dispute resolution (ADR) proceedings, including domestic and international arbitrations. His practice also includes pre-litigation counseling, pre-interference and post-grant proceeding consulting, ex parte appeal briefing and oral hearings before the PTAB, and appellate briefing and oral argument before the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit from decisions of the district courts and the PTAB.
Brent has extensive experience in USPTO trials and post-grant proceedings and has been involved in more than 35 patent interferences and many reexaminations during the past twenty-five years. He has also been involved in more than 140 recent Inter Partes Review, Covered Business Method Review, Post Grant Review, and Derivation proceedings before the PTAB. Brent’s experience and skills have led to him being repeatedly named one of the 40 top lawyers nationwide in PTAB post-grant practice by Intellectual Asset Management (IAM Patent 1000) magazine.
Litigation and dispute resolution are Brent’s métiers; (he) is noted for his special dexterity in post-grant proceedings. . . . (His) years of interference experience and intense engagement in inter partes reviews (bring) strong leadership to the PTAB practice (and an) understanding (of) everything that can happen after issuance. Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) magazine, World's Leading Patent Professionals, Patent 1000 (client commentary)
His litigation practice emphasizes handling patent cases, although he has also successfully represented numerous clients in trademark, trade dress, copyright, trade secret, unfair competition, and false advertising matters.
Brent’s cases have involved a vast array of technologies and products, including manufacturing equipment, medical devices, biotechnology and molecular biology, pharmaceuticals, semiconductor fabrication and processing, cellular communications, electronics and electrical devices, surgical procedures, electronic gaming and toys, and the automotive aftermarket.
- Georgetown University, J.D.
- Georgetown University, M.B.A.
- University of California at Los Angeles, M.S., Mechanical Engineering
- University of California at Los Angeles, Mechanical Engineering, B.S., cum laude
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona
- District of Columbia
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Named in The Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America for "Intellectual Property Litigation, esp. Patent" (2022-2023)
- Named an “IP Star” in the nationwide patent law category by Managing IP (2022-2023)
- Named PTAB Practitioner of the Year in the nationwide category in the Managing IP Americas Awards (2022)
- Named one of the "World's Leading Patent Professionals" in the “Patent 1000” guide by Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) magazine (2014-2023)
- Named a Local Litigation Star and a Benchmark California Star by Benchmark Litigation (2019)
- Ranked Top 40 Most Active IPR Attorney Overall - Patexia IPR Intelligence Report (2017-2018)
- Recognized by the Legal 500 (2017)
- Named in the Daily Journal's list of the "Top IP Attorneys in California” (2016)
- Recognized for High Tech Litigation in Corporate INTL Global Awards (2014)
- Selected to the California Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters) in Intellectual Property Litigation (2004)
- Legal intern, Honorable Glenn L. Archer, Jr., Circuit Judge, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (August 1990 - May 1991)
- Member, PTAB Bar Association (PTAB BA), Vice-Chair Trials Committee (2021-22), and Chair Trials Committee (2022-23)
- Member, Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO)
- Member, Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriété Intellectuelle (AIPPI) (International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property)