Stefan Schick has been practicing entertainment law since 1999, with an emphasis in live theater.
Stefan advises clients on all aspects of creating, developing, financing, producing, co-producing and licensing Broadway, off-Broadway, touring, regional, West End and other overseas live stage productions, from the initial rights deal to opening night and beyond. His clients include film studios, producers, investors, playwrights, bookwriters, composers, lyricists, directors, designers, music publishers, life story rights owners and other rights owners, some who are working on their first play or musical and others who are multiple Tony Award winners. His clients have played key roles in such recent, current and upcoming Broadway and West End shows as Almost Famous, Beetlejuice, Caroline, or Change, Chicago, Jagged Little Pill, Mean Girls, Pretty Woman, School of Rock, Sea Wall/A Life and Waitress.
Stefan represents nearly all of the major film studios, as well as many major film production companies and television networks, on their live stage work, and he has developed deep knowledge of all issues relating to turning a film, television show, life story or other underlying property into a play or musical. He also has considerable experience with the licensing of pre-existing music for use in so-called “jukebox” musicals. In addition, Stefan has extensive experience with the private securities offerings (and related investment documents) that producers use to raise money for their shows, and with the similar offerings used to finance funds that are formed to invest in and develop multiple theater projects.
Earlier in his career, Stefan represented clients in the areas of film and non-scripted television production, advertising, marketing and promotions, content licensing, and online and financial privacy, and he continues to collaborate with his colleagues in Loeb’s Advanced Media and Technology, Tax, Corporate and Intellectual Property departments on issues requiring their special skills.
- Columbia University School of Law, J.D.,
Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- Brown University, Sc.B.
- New York
- Named in The Hollywood Reporter's "New York's Top 20 Entertainment Attorneys" list (2020)
- Named "New York Metro Super Lawyer" in Entertainment & Sports by Thomson Reuters (2019-2021)
- Named in Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business, in New York Media & Entertainment: Theatre (2018-2021 editions)
- Named "Top Dealmaker" in Variety's "Dealmakers Impact Report" (2017)
- Named in The Legal 500 US in Media & Entertainment, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2017-2020)
- Named "Up Next" Emerging Dealmaker in Variety's "Dealmakers Impact Report" (2016)
- Named "Best Lawyer" in Entertainment Law, The Best Lawyers in America, published by Woodward White, Inc. (2017-2022)