Kate Scallan maintains an international trusts and estates practice, representing clients across the globe in high net worth estate and gift tax planning matters. Kate provides sophisticated tax advice to some of the most successful hedge fund and private equity fund principals in the world. She advises with regard to closely held business planning and tax structuring, bringing her personal touch and attention to each client’s unique situation.
Kate’s practice encompasses wills, trusts, estate administration, premarital agreements, tax and business planning, public and private charitable planning and multi-jurisdictional tax coordination, as well as transactions involving creating, restructuring, dissolving, acquiring and selling corporate entities. She routinely counsels clients in connection with the launch of investment funds, the sale of part or all of closely held businesses and the management of complicated interpersonal family situations.
Kate has seen her clients through life changing financial and personal turmoil and triumph. In U.S. News, a client shared that they “have never met a better lawyer than Kate; she is responsible and bright.” In addition to her practice, Kate is actively involved in her community, including providing planned giving advice to Old St. Patrick’s Church, Steppenwolf Theatre and Pathways.org. She is also a member of the Women’s Board of the Lincoln Park Zoo.
- Notre Dame Law School, J.D., cum laude
- University of Illinois, B.S.
- Named in Chambers High Net Worth Guide in Illinois, Private Wealth Law (2018-2021)
- Named "Best Lawyer" in Trusts and Estates, The Best Lawyers in America, published by Woodward White, Inc. (2019-2020)
- Named in Who’s Who Legal: Private Client 2015
- Certified Public Accountant, Illinois
- Member, Women’s Board, Lincoln Park Zoo