Channing Johnson focuses his practice on corporate and securities matters, with a concentration in the media, technology, entertainment and hospitality sectors.
Channing represents public and private companies in a variety of industries, including music, film and television production and distribution, animation, manufacturing, retail (clothing, food and beverage), internet commerce, software and investment banking.
Channing has extensive experience advising entertainment and media clients. His entertainment and media clients are involved with all modes of distribution (broadcast, cable, broadband, theatrical and internet), and seek legal advice in connection with the issuance of securities, mergers and acquisitions, joint venture and financing agreements, production agreements, distribution agreements, affiliate carriage agreements, publishing and co-publishing agreements, production deals, endorsements, co-branding and sponsorship deals, and talent contracts. Channing has significant experience representing superstar recording artists in worldwide touring agreements, including handling all legal matters relating to one of the largest international tours ever produced. He also regularly represents successful independent film and television production companies, music publishers, and record companies with respect to their day-to-day legal needs, financings and strategic acquisitions.
- Harvard Law School, J.D.
- Stanford University, Economics, B.A., With Honors
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- Named "Most Influential Minority Lawyer" by the Los Angeles Business Journal (2018)
- Inducted into the John M. Langston Bar Association Hall of Fame (2016)
- Named "Southern California Super Lawyer" in Entertainment & Sports, Business/Corporate and Mergers & Acquisitions by Thomson Reuters (2004-2018)
- Named “Top Black Lawyer” by Black Enterprise magazine (2003)
- Member, Board of Directors, KCETLink
- Adjunct Professor, Whittier Law School