Evan Farber maintains a broad-based commercial litigation practice, with a focus on real estate. Known by clients for his thoughtful and fair approach as well as his passion for building and executing a cohesive strategy for each case, Evan handles all aspects of dispute resolution, including investigation, advocacy and strategic advice for his clients.
He has extensive experience litigating claims related to the interpretation and enforcement of real estate-related contracts, real estate development litigation, commercial and residential landlord/tenant disputes, mortgage actions, title disputes, and other contentious real estate matters. One of Evan’s first, and most notable, cases involved insurance recovery litigation related to the World Trade Center site.
He has also worked on a wide range of litigation matters in the financial services industry, including complex collections actions, indenture trustee work, lender liability cases, financial products litigation and insider trading investigations, among other matters. In addition, his practice encompasses insurance recovery litigation and complex contract disputes in a variety of industries.
Evan is a member of the American Arbitration Association’s National Roster of Neutrals for commercial arbitrations and has served as arbitrator on several matters.
Evan also has a significant depth of experience in electronic discovery issues and has lectured and advised clients on related topics.
Outside of work, Evan chairs the board of the Joseph Slifka Center for Jewish Life at Yale and is an officer of Congregation Kehilath Jeshurun in Manhattan. He is committed to his pro bono work representing a death row inmate in Alabama who was given the death penalty by a judge who overrode a jury’s original life imprisonment sentence.
- Columbia University School of Law, J.D., Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar, Executive Managing Editor, Columbia Law Review
- Yale University, B.A., with distinction
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- New York
- Honorable Robert S. Smith, New York Court of Appeals
- Honorable Alvin K. Hellerstein, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Named “New York Rising Star” in Business Litigation by New York Super Lawyers (2013-2015)
- New York City Bar Justice Center 2016 Jeremy G. Epstein Award for Outstanding Pro Bono Service
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Volunteer, Memorial Sloan Kettering Hospital (2006-present)
- Co-Founder, Young Lawyers’ Division (2008-2012); Board of Directors (2011-present); Co-Chair, Interfaith Committee (2012-2018), Anti-Defamation League, New York Region
- Board of Directors (2012-present); Chair (2019-present), Joseph Slifka Center for Jewish Life at Yale
- Board of Trustees (2007-present); Officer (2014-present), Congregation Kehilath Jeshurun