Derek Crownover is a recognized leader in the music, entertainment, sports and media industries, counseling publishing companies, independent record labels, singers and songwriters who own their copyrights, and music publishing administration companies on licensing, liability matters and related litigation. He also counsels clients on recording agreements, employment agreements, LLC funding deals, real estate deals, asset purchase agreements and trusts and estates matters. In addition to his work as a metaphorical “primary care physician” for his music, corporate and tech clients, Derek also advises several sports-related businesses and athletes.
With strong ties to the local Nashville community, Derek is national counsel for the T.J. Martell Foundation, pro bono counsel for the New Children First Montessori Community School, and a former adjunct professor of entertainment law at the Curb Music Business School at Belmont University.
- University of Tennessee College of Law, J.D.
- Auburn University, B.A.
- New York
- Named "Sports & Entertainment Trailblazer" by The National Law Journal (2019)
- Named one of Billboard’s Top 100 Music Lawyers in the U.S. (2019)
- Recognized by Chambers USA, as one of America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- Named "Best Lawyer in Entertainment Law," Smith and Naifeh's Best Lawyers and Best Law Firms (2009-2020)
- Named "Mid South Super Lawyer" by Thomson Reuters (2007-2009, 2018-2019)
- Selected “Best of Bar” by Nashville Business Journal
- Entertainment and Sports Law Section, Nashville Bar Association
- Corporate Section, Nashville Bar Association
- Entertainment and Sports Law Section, Tennessee Bar Association
- Voting Member, Country Music Association (1996-present)
- Member, Copyright Society of the South