Roger Arar focuses his goal-oriented practice on film and television development, finance, production, distribution and talent. He provides strategic counsel to television networks, film and television production companies, independent studios and distribution companies, as well as individual producers, actors, writers, directors and investors.
He is passionate about structuring deals for his clients that maximize results. Roger takes a thoughtful and efficient approach to transactions involving development and production/co-production, finance and distribution, network license agreements, bank financing, copyright issues, private equity film investments, rights acquisitions, and talent engagements, as well as advising on insurance, guild and union matters.
Roger works with clients in traditional and new media to optimize multiple platform exploitation opportunities and anticipate new technologies. In addition, he has a fresh take on standard contracts, often revisiting arcane legal language to achieve a more streamlined documentation approach.
Roger is “a top-class television lawyer - he is an expert right from high-end transactions down to the nitty-gritty. Chambers USA (client commentary)
In his spare time, Roger is an enthusiastic consumer of independent and international films and television series, and enjoys reading, traveling, off-Broadway theatre and exploring New York City bookstores, museums and ethnic restaurants.
- Columbia University School of Law, J.D., Articles Editor, Columbia Law Review, Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- Yale University, B.A., magna cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- New York
- Michigan State Supreme Court, January 01, 1983
- Named "New York City Lawyer of the Year in Entertainment Law - Motion Pictures and Television" by Best Lawyers (2020)
- Named "Best Lawyer" in Entertainment Law, The Best Lawyers in America, published by Woodward White, Inc. (2008-2023)
- Named in The Legal 500 US in Media & Entertainment, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2018-2019, 2021 and 2022)
- Named in Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business, in New York Media & Entertainment: Film & Television (2005-2020 editions) and New York Media & Entertainment: Advisory (2021 and 2022)
- Named "New Star" by Lawdragon 500 (2006)
- Named "New York Metro Super Lawyer" in Entertainment & Sports by Thomson Reuters (2006-2022)
- Named in Who’s Who Legal: Sports & Entertainment, published by Law Business Research Limited (2016)
- Member (Former Co-chair), UCLA Entertainment Symposium Advisory Committee