Devon Spencer maintains a broad transactional practice, focusing primarily on entertainment, music, advertising, media, consumer brands and technology. He advises clients on a wide range of intellectual property, contract, licensing, brand protection and sponsorship matters, as well as joint ventures, acquisitions and new entity formation. Devon also has experience counseling clients on emerging industries, including structuring partnerships with esports gaming organizations and the sale of non-fungible tokens (NFTs).
Of note, Devon has particular experience reviewing and negotiating a high volume of contracts for award-winning artists, producers, mixers and songwriters across the music industry. Specifically, he has handled recording, distribution, co-publishing and administration agreements with major record labels, distributors and publishing companies, as well as general side artist, producer, songwriter and mixer agreements. He has also represented both buyers and sellers in the purchase and sale of music catalogs with regard to full ownership transfers and specific royalty streams.
Devon regularly advises clients on their promotional and advertising activities, including managing international TV, print and digital marketing campaigns, from negotiating talent agreements to ensuring the completion of the campaign’s deliverables.
Select examples of Devon’s prior firm experience include:
- Negotiated a multimillion-dollar global agreement for a Latin superstar artist with a major distribution company that included the sale of prior recordings and a distribution agreement for future albums
- Represented an independent record label and publishing company in its acquisition by a media investment firm
- Represented a Latin superstar artist in negotiating a wide-ranging new partnership with an American professional esports company, making him the first Latin artist esports team owner
- Represented an artist in connection with an NFT collaboration coinciding with the launch of a new NFT platform
- 法学博士, cum laude, Executive Editor of the International and Comparative Law Review
- University of Miami Frost School of Music, M.M.
- University of Florida Warrington College of Business, 学士, cum laude
- Named "Southern California Rising Star" in Entertainment & Sports by Thomson Reuters (2019-2022)