Albert Cohen leads an environmental law practice with more than 30 years of experience handling complex environmental cases, regulatory matters and transactions. He advises clients on soil and groundwater contamination, hazardous waste, air pollution, CERCLA, RCRA, the Clean Air Act, CARB regulations, CEQA, NEPA, Proposition 65, RoHS, REACH, water law, and other aspects of environmental law.
Earlier in his career, Albert practiced law with the U.S. government, handling environmental and enforcement matters involving land, water and air pollution as well as occupational health and safety. He served as the lead counsel for the Department of Justice in the Love Canal litigation.
I’m passionate about environmental issues and truly enjoy the intellectual challenges that arise while advising my clients on matters related to environmental insurance, Superfund and cost recovery.
Albert strategically coordinates various aspects of cases, including insurance, litigation and site investigations, and he develops effective strategies for his clients. In one case, he recovered over $42 million on behalf of an entity that allegedly owned and operated a hazardous waste site. He has represented individual companies and groups of potentially responsible parties at numerous Superfund sites.
In another area of his practice, Albert provides counsel on issues associated with purchasing, selling, financing and dealing with contaminated properties as well as indoor air risks. In addition, he works with clients on matters related to due diligence, obtaining insurance coverage and dealing directly with government agencies. He also provides counsel to energy companies that are considering locating alternative energy projects at former landfills.
- Harvard School of Public Health, M.P.H.
- 波士顿大学法学院, 法学博士
- 哥伦比亚大学, 文学学士, cum laude with Honors
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Named "Southern California Super Lawyer" in Environmental Litigation by Thomson Reuters (2009-2020)
- Highest "AV Preeminent (5 out of 5)" Professional Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory