Emily Stone leads a broad litigation practice focused on white-collar criminal defense, internal investigations and corporate compliance, and complex commercial litigation.
In criminal matters, Emily has investigated and defended, including at trial, charges of tax fraud, health care fraud, money laundering, FCPA violations and related conspiracy charges. She has also responded to SEC inquiries related to insider trading and other securities violations and performed internal investigations relating to potential FCPA violations. She also counsels clients in responding to third-party and government subpoenas and investigations, in both the civil and criminal matters.
In civil matters, Emily has successfully represented businesses in a variety of disputes, including claims for consumer fraud, false advertising and breach of contract. She defends Fortune 500 companies and other clients in both individual and class action claims. Emily also assists clients pursue and defend advertising challenges brought in the National Advertising Division of the Better Business Bureau. Emily has also successfully defended at trial claims of defamation and false light.
Emily believes strongly in the importance of access to justice and representation for all and contributes her services to various pro bono initiatives. She regularly staffs the Cabrini Green Legal Aid helpdesk where she assists clients in filing for sealing and expunging their criminal records so that they can more easily obtain housing and employment. Her other pro bono work includes staffing a non-partisan voter protection hotline through Election Protection, representation at trial of a client seeking damages for wrongful termination in retaliation for his exercise of his First Amendment rights, collaboration on an impact litigation project with the ACLU, and representing clients through the Chicago Volunteer Legal Services and Lawyers for the Creative Arts programs.
- University of Chicago Law School, 法学博士
- Tufts University, English, 文学学士, magna cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- Recipient, Excellence in Pro Bono and Public Interest Service Award, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois and Chicago Chapter of the Federal Bar Association (2023)
- Recipient, Top Pro Bono Contributor Award, Loeb & Loeb (2023)
- Named “Illinois Rising Star” in Business Litigation, Criminal Defense: White Collar and Business/Corporate by Thomson Reuters (2013-2019)
- Recipient, Outstanding Service Award, Chicago Volunteer Legal Services (2007)