Melanie Howard’s practice focuses on data privacy and security and intellectual property issues within the context of both litigation and transactional matters. She represents clients from a variety of industries, including advertising, automotive, technology, entertainment, media and retail. Melanie regularly counsels clients on intellectual property matters attendant to mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, licensing and endorsement deals and other complex commercial transactions. She is experienced in drafting and negotiating a variety of technology and data-related agreements, including in connection with e-commerce, social media platforms and applications, web development, and technology licensing, including software-as-a-service agreements. Melanie also has extensive experience in copyright and trademark infringement disputes, false advertising cases, right of publicity cases, and entertainment contractual disputes, along with a wide array of Internet-related intellectual property disputes, including Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (“UDRP”) proceedings.
Melanie was an assistant professor at Pepperdine Law School for three years, where she taught mediation at the Straus Institute of Dispute Resolution and created a new course in Social Entrepreneurship & Microfinance, which was offered both at the law school as well as the Graziadio School of Business & Management. While at Pepperdine, Melanie directed both the Palmer Center for Entrepreneurship and the Nootbaar Institute on Law, Religion & Ethics, and was instrumental in obtaining endowments for both programs. Melanie continues to enjoy adjunct teaching and guest lecturing.
- Harvard Law School, 法学博士, Articles Editor, Harvard Negotiation Law Review
- Williams College, 文学学士, Political Science & German Studies; Dean’s List; cum laude
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- Named among "Top Intellectual Property Lawyers" in California by the Daily Journal (2018)
- Named in The Legal 500 U.S. in Advertising and Marketing: Transactional and Regulatory and Data Privacy and Data Protection (2017-2018)
- Named "Southern California Rising Star" in Media and Advertising and Intellectual Property by Thomson Reuters (2004-2007, 2010, 2012-2015)
- Secretary and Board Member, Fonkoze USA (2006-2014)
- Founding Director, Opportunities Without Borders
- Member, International Trademark Association (2004-Present)
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association (2001-Present)
- Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals