Thomas Jirgal is a commercial litigator whose national practice focuses on advertising, intellectual property, and general litigation matters. He co-chairs Loeb & Loeb's nationally recognized Advertising Disputes practice group and is ranked as one of the top advertising and marketing litigators in the country by Chambers & Partners.
Thomas has more than twenty years of experience representing clients in the entertainment, communications, consumer goods, personal care, food, automotive, and financial services industries in cases involving false advertising, trademark, copyright, trade secret, corporate espionage, contract, fiduciary duty, defamation, invasion of privacy, employment, civil forfeiture, class action, antitrust and unfair competition claims. He regularly represents clients in state and federal court, in private arbitration, and before the Better Business Bureau’s National Advertising Division where he has served as lead counsel on over 35 cases within the last five years. He also counsels clients on advertising matters, including the substantiation needed for advertising claims, and the management, licensing and protection of intellectual property rights.
The advertising disputes in which Thomas is involved often turn on cutting-edge technological issues, and the effective presentation of complex testing and statistical analysis. As an essential part of his practice, Thomas regularly oversees the design and critique of consumer perception surveys that can be dispositive in an advertising dispute involving implied claims. He is a co-author of A Practical Guide to Comparative Advertising: Dare to Compare.
- University of Illinois College of Law, 法学博士, magna cum laude, Member, University of Illinois Law Review
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 文学学士
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, January 01, 1998
- Named in Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business, in Nationwide Advertising: Litigation (2019-2021 editions)
- Named "Illinois Super Lawyer" in Intellectual Property and Intellectual Property Litigation by Thomson Reuters (2016-2020)
- Named in The Legal 500 US in Media, Technology and Telecoms: Marketing and Advertising, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2013, 2017-2020)
- Named among “Top Lawyers in Illinois” in Advertising & Media and Arts, Entertainment & Sports Law by the Leading Lawyers Network (2011-2018)
- Extern, Honorable Harlington Wood, Jr., U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit