Jonathan Thielbar maintains a broad intellectual property practice that includes strategic patent procurement, litigation, licensing, and strategic counselling. His engineering background and expertise in mechanical, electromechanical, and computer software technologies provide him with a deep understanding of clients’ technology. With that understanding, he can effectively advise clients to strategically secure protection for their innovations in a variety of technology areas. His technical knowledge combined with his thorough understanding of USPTO and international patent office procedures allows Jonathan to creatively leverage his clients’ innovations into valuable assets in the U.S. and abroad.
He has advised clients developing and maintaining patent portfolios of all sizes and at all stages of technological development in a wide range of industries, including heavy machinery, medical devices, payment systems, product manufacturing, sporting goods and equipment, computer software and security, database management, and home appliances. He has worked with start-up companies to strategically hone their technological assets for producing revenue-generating intellectual property, and has counselled large, publicly traded companies on cultivating and managing extensive portfolios domestically and internationally.
Jonathan has represented clients in all phases of patent litigation, including preliminary injunction proceedings, discovery and appeals. He has also represented a variety of clients in contractual agreements ranging from technology joint-venture projects to large-scale patent licenses.
- Washington University School of Law, 法学博士
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Minor in Business
- Named “Illinois Rising Star” in Intellectual Property by Thomson Reuters (2014-2019)
- Judicial Extern, Honorable Allen Goldberg, Circuit Court of Cook County, Chicago, IL (2007)
- Member, Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO)
- Member, Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (IPLAC)