Ross Emmerman is a broad-based transactional lawyer focusing on domestic and cross-border middle- market mergers and acquisitions, venture capital, and other financings and joint venture arrangements. He counsels public and private companies, family offices, and other buyers and sellers of businesses on structuring and negotiating complex business transactions, including purchases and sales of distressed businesses, executive compensation and general corporate matters.
Ross also regularly represents family offices and high net worth individuals in a wide variety of matters, including investing, family office structuring, executive compensation and other general business guidance, and he is a co-leader of the firm’s Family Office Practice.
He has helped clients in many industry sectors, including information technology, transportation, business services, industrial, manufacturing, distribution, health care, travel and leisure, insurance, gaming and consumer goods.
Ross’ clients value his ability to quickly understand their needs and the financial aspects of their businesses while never losing focus on their ultimate goals. Ross is known for his ability to think two steps ahead, identifying problems and employing a practical, solutions-oriented approach to resolving issues and getting deals done.
He's a top notch M&A attorney. He's very knowledgeable, but at the same time he's very experienced and practical. He has a lot of valuable ideas that help get deals done. Chambers USA (client commentary)
Though Ross is consistently cited as one of the top corporate lawyers in the country by Chambers USA, The Best Lawyers in America and other leading legal directories, his most rewarding recognition has come from clients expressing their appreciation for his contributions to their objectives.
Outside the office, Ross enjoys spending time with his wife and two children on Chicago’s North Side — the neighborhood they call home — and is an avid cyclist.
- George Washington University Law School, 法学博士, with honors
- 密歇根大学工商管理学士学位, 工商管理学士, with honors
- Named in The Legal 500 US in M&A: Middle-Market, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2019, 2021)
- Named in Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business, in Illinois Corporate/M&A: Private Equity (2016-2021 editions)
- Named "Best Lawyer" in Corporate Law, The Best Lawyers in America, published by Woodward White, Inc. (2009-2020)
- Named among “Top Lawyers in Illinois” in Closely & Privately Held Business Law by the Leading Lawyers Network (2013-2018)
- Named "Illinois Super Lawyer" in Securities & Corporate Finance by Thomson Reuters (2018-2020)
- Highest "AV Preeminent (5 out of 5)" Professional Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- Member, American Bar Association, Business Law Section and Mergers & Acquisitions Committee
- Former Trustee and Treasurer, Chicago Sinai Congregation
- Member, The University of Michigan Ross School of Business Alumni Club of Chicago
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Heartland Alliance