Allan Edmiston is a trial lawyer with deep experience and a proven track record in high-stakes, difficult cases. He is also Loeb’s Los Angeles General Counsel.
Allan leads Loeb’s multidisciplinary Professional Services Litigation team. He defends professional services firms, including law firms and their lawyers, against claims for malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty, aiding and abetting, malicious prosecution, and fraud, arising out of a variety of contexts and practice areas. Most recently, Allan obtained a defense arbitration award, including prevailing-party attorneys’ fees, for an AmLaw 200 law firm in a legal malpractice case.
Allan also regularly litigates real estate matters involving contract disputes, preemptive rights, landlord-tenant disputes, title insurance coverage and bad faith claims, priority issues, mechanic’s lien rights, and easements. Allan’s trial victories in this area include a defense verdict – after a seven-week jury trial – for a leading title insurer in a case involving a bad faith claim for $100 million in damages, and a defense judgment, including prevailing-party attorneys’ fees, in a case involving refusal rights under a commercial lease. Most recently, Allan represented The Claremont Colleges, Inc. in litigation with the neighboring Claremont School of Theology. Following a bench trial, Allan obtained a judgment affirming that CST’s property is burdened by an educational use restriction and that TCC has a valid and enforceable pre-emptive repurchase right respecting CST’s property.
Finally, Allan has considerable experience litigating complex corporate matters, including shareholder derivative suits, investor actions, and contests over corporate control, as well as business and other commercial disputes involving claims for breach of contract, unfair competition and business torts, among others.
As part of his pro bono efforts, Allan has served as a prosecutor for the Los Angeles City Attorney’s Office, trying misdemeanors including battery, trespass, theft and vehicular hit-and-run.
- Emory University School of Law, 法学博士
- Trinity College (CT), 文学学士
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- Named "Southern California Super Lawyer" in Business Litigation by Thomson Reuters (2017-2019)
- Named in The Legal 500 US in Intellectual Property: Copyright, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2013 edition)
- Named "Southern California Rising Star" in Business Litigation by Thomson Reuters (2009-2011, 2014-2016)
- Member, Board of Fellows, Trinity College (CT)
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Member, Association of Business Trial Lawyers