Tal Dickstein is an entertainment and intellectual property litigator focused on helping clients in the music, motion picture and advanced media sectors navigate complex legal and business issues in a changing industry landscape. He has prosecuted and defended copyright infringement cases on behalf of music publishers, record labels, performing artists and songwriters in courts across the country. He regularly helps film producers, broadcast networks and motion picture studios navigate issues such as fair use, defamation, and publicity and privacy rights. He has also advised content owners on ways to maximize the value of their works in both traditional media and cutting edge technology, and helped service providers avoid liability in the digital space.
As someone who loves music but can’t sing a lick, defending the rights of artists, songwriters and publishers is my way of supporting the creative process.
In addition to his intellectual property practice, Tal has experience in complex commercial and real estate litigation. He has handled all phases of litigation, including discovery, trials and appeals, in both federal and state courts as well as AAA arbitrations. His clients appreciate his rigorous advocacy and pragmatic approach, including guidance on how to avoid disputes when possible.
Tal is an editor of Loeb & Loeb’s IP/Entertainment Law Weekly Case Update for Content Creators, Owners and Distributors, and a co-author of the chapter on Entertainment Law in the treatise Business and Commercial Litigation in Federal Courts. He has been recognized by Law360 and Variety for his impact on the entertainment industry. In his free time, he enjoys cycling, listening to music and podcasts, and spending time with his family.
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Yeshiva University, General Litigation, 法学博士, magna cum laude, Cardozo Law Review, Order of the Coif
- Binghamton University, Philosophy, Politics and Law, 文学学士, summa cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Named "Best Lawyer" in Copyright Law, The Best Lawyers in America, published by Woodward White, Inc. (2021-2023)
- Named in The Legal 500 US in Media and Entertainment: Litigation, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2021 and 2022)
- Named in Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business, in New York Media & Entertainment: Litigation (2021 and 2022)
- Named "New York Metro Super Lawyer" in Intellectual Property Litigation by Thomson Reuters (2016-2022)
- Named to "Up Next" list of emerging leaders in entertainment law in Variety's "Legal Impact Report" (2016)
- Named "Rising Star" in Media and Entertainment by Law360 (2016 edition)
- Named "New York Metro Rising Star" in Intellectual Property Litigation and Business Litigation by Thomson Reuters (2012-2015)
- Editor, Loeb & Loeb’s IP/Entertainment Law Weekly Case Update for Motion Picture Studios and Television Networks
- Member, Intellectual Property Law Section of the New York State Bar Association
- Member, Intellectual Property Committee of the Federal Bar Council
- Member, Copyright Society of the U.S.A.