Tax efficiency is rarely the goal of a deal, but neither can it be an afterthought, or worse, a never-thought-of factor, for any stakeholder in a strategic transaction.
Loeb & Loeb’s Tax team provides practical, business-savvy tax counsel to all kinds of clients, on all sides of the deal table — public and private companies, private equity funds, lenders, issuers, investors, high net worth individuals, closely held companies and family offices — helping them structure, negotiate and document business formations and transactions to maximize tax efficiency and accomplish their goals.
Working as an integral part of each deal team alongside colleagues from across the firm, our Tax practitioners are proactive and constructive problem-solvers committed to adding value, minimizing financial risk and getting the deal done for our clients. And while our sweet spot is in middle-market transactions, we have achieved substantial tax savings for major multinational corporations in complex multibillion-dollar deals.
Our team advises on tax considerations associated with the full range of transactions, including:
- Mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, spin-offs and other corporate and structural transactions
- Partnerships, limited-liability companies, joint ventures and other strategic combinations
- Business and financial transactions for high net worth individuals and family offices
- Initial public offerings
- SPAC (Special Purpose Acquisition Company) offerings and acquisitions
- Debt and equity financing transactions
- Cross-border and multi-jurisdictional transactions for both overseas and domestic companies
- Strategic restructurings and workout transactions, including for distressed and insolvent companies, and in connection with bankruptcies
- Transactions involving tax-exempt organizations
While we handle the tax issues involved in nearly every type of transaction and spanning a wide range of industry sectors, Loeb tax practitioners are particularly adept and experienced in the tax aspects of:
- Real estate transactions, including joint ventures and 1031 exchanges.
- Entertainment transactions, including tax-advantaged financing and subsidies for the production of motion picture, television and other media content, and planning in connection with the purchase or sale of entertainment assets.
- Energy transactions, tax credits and other tax benefits associated with renewable energy projects.
We work closely with the firm’s corporate and capital markets attorneys as integral parts of the deal team, committed to adding value and minimizing financial risk for our clients in each transaction.
Our tax practitioners handle transactions spanning a wide range of industry sectors, with particular depth and breadth of experience advising on the tax aspects of:
- Real estate transactions, including joint ventures, 1031 exchanges and real estate investment trusts;
- Energy transactions, including planning with respect to tax credits and other tax benefits associated with renewable energy projects;
- Entertainment transactions, including tax-advantaged financing and subsidies for the production of motion picture, television and other media content, and planning in connection with the purchase or sale of entertainment assets;
- Workout transactions, including tax planning relating to depressed and insolvent companies, and in connection with bankruptcies; and
- Transactions involving tax-exempt organizations, including planning in connection with unrelated business taxable income.
We represent clients on all sides of the deal table, including public and private companies, private equity funds, buyers, sellers, lenders, issuers, and investors. We are well versed in international tax matters and regularly represent foreign businesses accessing the U.S. capital markets and expanding their operations in the United States, as well as domestic businesses investing abroad. While our focus is on middle-market transactions, our team has also achieved significant tax savings in complex, multibillion-dollar deals involving major multinational corporations.