Jonathan Zavin is a commercial litigator and intellectual property attorney with extensive experience in intellectual property matters, and has litigated scores of copyright and trademark cases. He has also advised major film studios, producers, recording companies and publishing companies on transactions in the entertainment and new media industries.
Jonathan’s commercial litigation background has been in areas as diverse as securities litigation (including Rule 10b-5 and RICO claims), litigation arising from the purchase and sale of large companies, employment discrimination litigation, FTC hearings involving the antitrust implications of an acquisition, commercial breach of contract actions and construction disputes.
At the request of the United States government, Jonathan has traveled to Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Colombia, Kazakhstan, Greece and South Africa to meet with various government ministries and industry groups regarding the protection of intellectual property rights.
Jonathan has lectured extensively on the subject of copyright law before law and industry organizations, including the Copyright Society of the U.S.A. and the American Bar Association. He is the author of articles addressing intellectual property issues. Jonathan is on the Editorial Board of the Loeb & Loeb IP/Entertainment Case Law Weekly Update for Motion Picture Studios and Television Networks.
- 哥伦比亚大学法学院, 法学博士
- St. John's College, 文学学士
- New York State Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Named "Media and Entertainment MVP" by Law360 (2014)
- Named "New York City Copyright Lawyer of the Year," Best Lawyers (2014)
- Named "Top Entertainment Attorney" in Variety's "Legal Impact Report" (2013 and 2015)
- Named an “IP Star” by Managing Intellectual Property magazine (2013-2015, 2019-2021)
- Named "Best Lawyer" in Copyright Law and Intellectual Property Litigation (2012-2023) and Trademark Law (2023), The Best Lawyers in America, published by Woodward White, Inc.
- Named in The Legal 500 US in Copyright (2007-2008, 2012-2013, 2018-2022) and Media and Entertainment: Litigation (2022), published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard
- Named in The Hollywood Reporter's “Power Lawyers Top 100” list (2007-2008, 2010-2014, 2016-2018)
- Named in Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business, in New York Media & Entertainment: Litigation (2007-2022)
- Named "New York Metro Super Lawyer" in Intellectual Property Litigation by Thomson Reuters (2006-2021)
- Named one of the "Leading Lawyers in America," Lawdragon 3000 Leading Lawyers Guide (2006)
- Highest "AV Preeminent (5 out of 5)" Professional Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- Member, Copyright Society of the U.S.A.
- Former Member, Executive Committee, Copyright Society of the U.S.A.
- Former Vice Chair, Board of Visitors and Governors, St. John's College