Paul Swanson focuses his law practice on diversified corporate, intellectual property and entertainment-related financing transactions.
Chair of the firm’s Entertainment Finance Practice, Paul negotiates complex financings for the production and distribution of a wide range of media, including motion pictures, television programs, video games and digital content. He represents leading financial institutions, investment banks, independent production companies, producers and others in structuring and administering multi-tranche debt and equity credit facilities, co-productions, co-financings, single-project production loans, and other financings. He has also participated in multibillion-dollar media merger and acquisition and securitization transactions and advises clients on an array of bankruptcy and restructuring matters.
With a strong background in copyright and entertainment-industry specific issues, Paul also regularly advises his clients in connection with video game, visual effects, motion capture, digital media, software and technology licensing transactions as well as marketing, sponsorship and merchandising agreements.
Select examples of Paul's prior experience include:
- Represented well-known video game publisher in connection with the production, financing and distribution of motion pictures based on its video game properties.
- Represented high-profile television creator/production company in connection with $150 million term loans and related production and licensing agreements in connection with an animated television series.
- Represented Dalian Wanda Group Co. Ltd. in its $3.5 billion purchase of Legendary Entertainment.
- Represented joint venture in $25 million revolving credit facility to be used to fund prints and advertising costs for motion pictures.
- Represented Bank of America in a $100 million securitization for a major international reality and scripted television producer and distributor.
- Represented A24 Films in connection with a $125 million revolving credit facility.
- Represented MUFG Union Bank in a $200 million film production financing transaction for a well-known motion picture and television producer and distributor.
- Represented Comerica Bank and MUFG Union Bank as co-lead arrangers and lenders in a $150+ million film ultimates financing transaction.
- Represented Colony Capital in the acquisition of the Miramax film library from Disney and subsequent debt and securitization transactions.
- Represented Summit Entertainment in a multi-tranche debt and equity financing transaction and related acquisition of Summit Entertainment’s operations and in connection with numerous motion picture financings, including for The Twilight Saga motion pictures.
- Represented Comerica Bank in a $32 million financing transaction for 60 episodes of a popular television series.
- Represented Goldman Sachs, as arranger, in a $200 million film production financing transaction.
- University of California at Los Angeles School of Law, 法学博士
- St. John's University, 文学学士, magna cum laude
- Recognized in the "Dealmakers Impact Report," Variety magazine's list of people behind the most important entertainment industry deals of the past 12 months (2016)
- Recognized in "Up Next," Variety magazine's list of the best and brightest up-and-coming entertainment attorneys (2011)
- Named to the Southern California Super Lawyers list (2018)
- Named to the Southern California Super Lawyers "Rising Star" list (2006-2007; 2009-2014)