Barry Slotnick is a nationally recognized intellectual property litigator who represents high-profile clients in the music and entertainment industries, as well as major brands across the advertising, licensing and merchandising sectors. Barry has litigated scores of copyright infringement cases in courts throughout the United States, as well as numerous disputes addressing the respective rights of copyright and trademark owners and users, including rights of privacy and publicity.
His clients have included entertainment companies such as SONY/ATV Music Publishing, Universal Music, EMI Music, Peer Music, Broadway Video, Downtown Music, Shapiro Bernstein, Spirit Music, SoundExchange Works, the Harry Fox Agency, the National Music Publishers’ Association, AMC and BBC America. Mr. Slotnick has also represented artists and creators such as the Allman Bros. Band, the Beastie Boys, the Ben E. King Estate, Billy Squier, Carrie Underwood, Herman’s Hermits, the Johnny Cash Estate, Queensryche, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, Steven Lutvak, Robert Freeman, David Guetta, and the J.R.R. Tolkien Estate. His representation also includes companies outside the entertainment sector, such as Anheuser-Busch, Dell Computers, DDB Worldwide, Eveready Battery, Fifth Third Bank, Motorola, Museum of Modern Art, New York Life, Toyota and Harley-Davidson.
Barry is a remarkable attorney ... He is smart, concerned, conscientious – and returns phone calls. And fast. He’s also affable, enormously charming, and deeply funny – which doesn’t help win cases. Or does it? In any case, he’s the best of the best. Client Commentary
Barry has lectured extensively on copyright and entertainment issues for the Practising Law Institute and other industry groups. He sits on the boards of Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts and the Copyright Society of the USA.
Among Barry’s many distinctions is Chambers USA’s description of him as a “savvy lawyer who is excellent in and out of the courtroom” and “one of the most well-respected music litigators in New York.” The accolades that Barry values most, however, are the private ones that come from clients who express their appreciation for his work.
Loeb & Loeb IP/Entertainment Law Conference
- 雪城大学法学院, 法学博士, With Honors
- Queens College, 文学学士
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- New York Court of Appeals
- Named "Best Lawyer" in Copyright Law, Entertainment Law - Music, and Litigation - Intellectual Property, The Best Lawyers in America, published by Woodward White, Inc. (2018-2023)
- Named a "Hall of Fame Lawyer" in The Legal 500 Hall of Fame in Copyright, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2017-2022)
- Named "Media and Entertainment MVP" by Law360 (2015)
- Adjunct Professor, Entertainment Law, Syracuse University College of Law
- Named an “IP Star” by Managing Intellectual Property magazine (2013-2022)
- Named as a "Leading Lawyer" in The Legal 500 US in Copyright, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2007, 2008, 2011-2013, 2015-2020)
- Named in Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business, in New York Media & Entertainment: Litigation (2006-2013, 2016-2022)
- Named "New York Metro Super Lawyer" in Intellectual Property Litigation by Thomson Reuters (2006-2022)
- Named in The Legal 500 US in Media and Entertainment: Litigation (2022)
- Named one of the "Leading Lawyers in America," Lawdragon 3000 Leading Lawyers Guide (2006)
- Highest "AV Preeminent (5 out of 5)" Professional Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- President, Copyright Society of the U.S.A. (2004-2006)
- Editorial Board, Journal of the Copyright Society of the U.S.A.
- Board of Directors, Association of Independent Music Publishers
- Member, Patent, Trademark, and Copyright Committee; Entertainment and Sports Committee; Litigation Committee, American Bar Association