Ken Kraus takes a thorough and thoughtful approach to his practice, focusing on entertainment, copyright, trademark and intellectual property law in the music, television and film industries. Throughout his career, he has represented major recording artists, songwriters, record companies, music publishers, book authors, managers, music industry executives, startups, investors, and other groups and individuals in the entertainment field.
A significant portion of Ken’s work has revolved around the transition of the music industry away from physical album sales and into streaming services and other new media outlets, and how artists and record companies need to adapt to this rapidly changing environment. Among other things, he advises clients on strategic methods to optimize digital music platforms and assists them through this transition.
Ken’s notable clients include Carrie Underwood, 19 Entertainment (producer of “American Idol”), Bob Seger, the estate of B.B. King, Amy Grant, Seether, Casting Crowns, Clint Black, REO Speedwagon and Boz Scaggs. He is passionate about putting television productions together and recently worked on the making of a multinight television special, titled “American Epic,” on PBS.
He regularly lectures at the Practicing Law Institute, the USC Entertainment Law Institute and other professional organizations. He has been named a “Southern California Super Lawyer” in Entertainment & Sports by Thomson Reuters for the past seven consecutive years and a “Best Lawyer” in Entertainment Law by The Best Lawyers in America since 1995.
Ken’s was drawn to entertainment law through his past endeavors as a musician in high school and college and by family friends he had growing up who were in the record business. In his spare time, he enjoys cooking, trying new restaurants, traveling and working on his 12-acre organic avocado and coffee farm in Carpinteria, California.
- University of California at Los Angeles School of Law, 法学博士, Order of the Coif,
Member and Editor, UCLA/Alaska Law Review
- Occidental College, 文学学士, cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- Named "Southern California Super Lawyer" in Entertainment & Sports by Thomson Reuters (2011-2018)
- Named in The Legal 500 US in Media, Technology and Telecoms: Film, Music and TV, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2008 edition)
- "Best 150 Lawyers" List, Business TN (January 2007)
- Best Lawyers in Nashville, Nashville Post
- 101 Best Lawyers in State of Tennessee, Business Tennessee
- Named "Best Lawyer" in Entertainment Law, The Best Lawyers in America, published by Woodward White, Inc. (1995-2022)
- Received highest ranking in "Chambers USA 2011, America's Leading Lawyers for Business," in Tennessee Media & Entertainment (also recognized in 2006-2010, 2015-2016 editions)
- Named one of the "Leading Lawyers in America," Lawdragon 3000 Leading Lawyers Guide (2005-2006)
- Named "Mid-South Super Lawyer" in Entertainment & Sports by Law & Politics (2006-2009); Listed in the Top 100 Tennessee Super Lawyers (2008)
- Highest "AV Preeminent (5 out of 5)" Professional Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- Member, Nashville Bar Association
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association