Loeb & Loeb LLP is pleased to announce that partner Barry I. Slotnick will be speaking at the upcoming PLI seminar.
From the seminar website:
Hotly contested DVD-burning issues, the use of J.D. Salinger’s character Holden Caufield in a book that Salinger did not write, and a YouTube clip of a baby dancing to Prince’s “Let’s Go Crazy” made copyright headlines last year. If a similar issue had arisen for your company or your client, would you have been prepared? If not, then this is the program for you. Technology continues to evolve and one thing is certain: the number of legal issues that will arise in copyright law will increase, and it is essential for all practitioners to be familiar with the basic tenets of this important legal area. What rights does copyright protection confer and how are these rights protected? How do you protect your copyrighted material and what types of remedies are involved in infringement actions? These are all critical concepts, and practitioners should be equipped with the fundamentals. Keep current in this dynamic field while learning the most important concepts expertly taught by an all-star faculty. Gain practical guidance on how to identify, handle and solve basic copyright problems. Whether you are looking for a refresher course or if you need to learn the basics of copyright law from the bottom up, you will want to register for this program.
What You Will Learn
- Fundamentals of copyright law: terminology, copyrightability, protectable subject matter, and policy objectives behind protection
- Rights associated with copyright protection
- Hot issues in copyright law including a review of the latest cases and issues unique to the internet
- The Google Book settlement and what it means to the copyright practitioner
- Fair use primer on copyright litigation and important defense strategies, including affirmative defenses