Andy Smith focuses his practice on intellectual property law, with a specific emphasis on patent prosecution, litigation and licensing. He has a particular strength in helping clients navigate the challenges of protecting their computer and software-related inventions. He also has vast experience nationalizing foreign-origin patent applications and assisting clients outside the U.S. with cultivating and monetizing their IP assets.
With more than a decade of experience drafting and prosecuting domestic and international patents related to a wide variety of advanced technologies, Andy brings a wealth of knowledge and understanding to his representation of many industry-leading companies.
He has secured valuable patent protection for clients’ innovations in software and operating system components; payment systems; network technologies; green technologies, including advanced diesel engine ignition systems, waste-to-energy systems, carbon products, and advanced fuels; and mobile device and web-based applications. He has also worked with innovations related to process control management systems, semiconductors and computer memory management, internet business solutions, dental and surgical hand pieces, automobile roof and heating systems, and beer brewing technologies.
Before attending law school, Andy was a captain in the United States Army, and he remains active in efforts to support veterans and their families.
- DePaul University College of Law, 法学博士
- DePaul University, College of Computer Science, Telecommunications, and Information Systems, M.S., Computer Science
- United States Military Academy, West Point, 学士
- Illinois State Supreme Court
- Named "Illinois Super Lawyer" in Intellectual Property by Thomson Reuters (2016-2018)
- Named “Illinois Rising Star” in Intellectual Property by Thomson Reuters (2011-2014)
- The Chicago Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section, “Wills for Heroes” program
- Member, West Point Association of Graduates