Libby O’Neill focuses her practice on advertising and intellectual property matters, with an emphasis on advertising claim substantiation and disputes; promotions; trademark counseling, enforcement and litigation; and social media issues. Her clients span a wide range of industries, including telecommunications, real estate, consumer products, retail, food and beverage, and financial services, allowing her to draw upon a unique breadth of experience to proactively identify challenges and develop practical and creative solutions when issues arise.
Clients turn to Libby for assistance in all aspects of advertising and promotions initiatives, including national campaign counsel and strategy and license and sponsorship agreements. She also works with advertisers to analyze claim substantiation issues and defend and challenge claims before the Better Business Bureau’s National Advertising Division.
Libby also advises clients in protecting their intellectual property assets in advertising and marketing. She counsels on matters involving the clearance, registration, protection and enforcement of trademarks, and has experience litigating cases involving trademark infringement, counterfeiting and false advertising in federal courts and before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Her practice extends to trademark prosecution matters as well as managing portfolios from inception of intellectual property through divestiture proceedings in mergers and acquisitions.
- 耶鲁大学, cum laude
- 美国西北大学法学院, 法学博士, Individual Comment Editor, The Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology
- Named "Illinois Rising Star" in Media and Advertising by Thomson Reuters (2020)
- Extern, The Honorable Joan Lefkow, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (2009)
- Member, Chicago Bar Association, IP Committee (2011–present)
- Member, International Trademark Association (2012-present); Related Rights Committee (2014–2016); Young Practitioners Committee (2016-present)
- Member, Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago, Women in IP Committee (2017-present)