Robert Newman counsels clients in connection with privacy, data security, marketing, e-commerce and other intellectual property matters. He advises major brands, advertising agencies and digital media companies on all aspects of their consumer marketing communications, commercialization and enforcement of intellectual property portfolios, and litigation risk avoidance relating to IP, marketing and emerging technologies.
A trusted business advisor, Robert works closely with clients to protect their creative advantages in the following areas:
- Data Privacy and Security: Regulatory and compliance counseling, including with respect to behavioral advertising, “big data,” mobile marketing, digital media buy agreements, programmatic advertising, and marketing to children. Robert frequently handles responses to high profile data breaches and assists clients in the assessment and development of internal data privacy and security policies and procedures.
- Advertising, Marketing, and Promotions: Advertising clearance for traditional and interactive advertising campaigns, and counseling on consumer protection issues, design and implementation of promotions, and new media matters, including social media, text message marketing, and user-generated content.
- Trademarks and Brand Protection: Trademark selection and clearance, assistance with the development of branding strategies, trademark prosecution, and global trademark portfolios management. Robert also advises on domain name strategies and gTLD matters.
- IP Transactions, Licensing, and E-Commerce: IP matters associated with mergers, acquisitions, outsourcing, transition services, and other significant corporate transactions. In addition Robert counsels clients on software and mobile application development, end-user licenses, application service provider agreements, and software licensing.
- IP Disputes and Litigation: False advertising, copyright, trademark, domain name, defamation, right of publicity, and unfair competition disputes and litigation, as well as UDRP proceedings and matters before the National Advertising Division and the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Talent, Music, and Copyright: Music and content licenses, and high-level talent agreements for use in advertising and branded entertainment. Robert also counsels content creators and content providers on the protection and commercialization of their music, literary, and other creative properties.
Robert is an adjunct faculty member of Chicago-Kent College of Law and The John Marshall Law School's Center for Intellectual Property, Information and Privacy Law. He teaches courses on advertising and marketing law, e-commerce, and behavioral tracking and targeting.
In addition to his leadership and involvement in various professional associations in the privacy, IP and branding arena, Robert is also actively involved in pro bono service on behalf of several prominent music and arts organizations.
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, 法学博士
- University of Illinois, 文学学士
- Named a “Client Service All-Star” by BTI Consulting Group (2018)
- Named among “Top Emerging Lawyers in Illinois” in Intellectual Property Law by the Leading Lawyers Network (2015-2018)
- Chair, Internet and Privacy Subcommittee, American Bar Association
- Vice Chair, Trademark Litigation Committee, American Bar Association
- Former Chair, Trademark Transactions Committee, American Bar Association
- Former Vice Chair, Trademark Legislation Committee, American Bar Association
- Former Annual Review Vice Chair, Copyright Division, American Bar Association
- Member, Internet Committee and GAC Subcommittee, International Trademark Association
- Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Member, Brand Activation Association
- Member, The Recording Academy
- Member, Board of Directors, Lawyers for the Creative Arts
- Member, Board of Directors and Finance Committee, Illinois Legal Aid Online