Thomas Hanley leads a transactional real estate practice advising investors, lenders, property owners and developers in all aspects of purchases, sales, financings, lease agreements and joint ventures. He has worked with clients on hundreds of properties ranging from office and retail to multifamily and mixed-use projects.
Thomas regularly advises on restructuring loan agreements, real estate workouts, negotiating pre-bankruptcy settlements and coordinating regulatory compliance. As another facet of his practice, he represents commercial lenders in real estate financings. Thomas has also been involved in numerous real property asset portfolio acquisitions and dispositions.
I love the win-win aspect of transactional real estate and finding conclusions that make both sides happy.
Prior to his legal career, Thomas served as a peace negotiator during the conflict in Bosnia in the mid-1990s and successfully negotiated a cease-fire for the war. He was also the original architect of the American Plan, which became the basis for the Dayton Accords that ended the war.
Thomas has been recognized by several industry publications, including being named a “Best Lawyer” in real estate law by The Best Lawyers in America. In addition, he regularly speaks at different industry events. Outside the office, Thomas is a licensed pilot and enjoys biking and traveling.
- Southwestern University, 法学博士, cum laudeAmerican Jurisprudence Award for Excellence in Contracts and Corporations, Member, Southwestern Law Review
- Loyola Marymount University, 工商管理学士
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- Named "Best Lawyer" in Real Estate Law, The Best Lawyers in America, published by Woodard White, Inc. (2018-2019)
- Named in The Legal 500 US in Real Estate, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2017 edition)
- Highest "AV Preeminent (5 out of 5)" Professional Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Director, First West Coast Conference on Constitutional Law (1978)