Loeb & Loeb New York Employment & Labor chair Ian Carleton Schaefer is quoted in several articles discussing the U.S. Supreme Court’s review of the federal government’s COVID-19 vaccine-or-test mandate for large companies. On January 13, 2022, the Court blocked the vaccine-or-test requirements but upheld a separate mandate concerning medical facilities receiving federal funding.
In an interview with SHRM prior to the Court’s January 13 decision, Ian noted that COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations are continuing to rise. "It would be difficult to imagine that the rapid spread of omicron and the efficacy of vaccinations to prevent serious health conditions for those who do contract the variant will not weigh heavily into the arguments before the Court and the Court's ultimate decision," he said.
Since the Court’s ruling, Ian told The Hill that “the decision point is now squarely left to board rooms and chief executives to decide the fate of their own organizational policy, and their role in impacting how the next phase of the pandemic unfolds for the nation and the economy.”
Regardless of the justices’ decision, Ian noted in an interview with Law360 that the Supreme Court’s ruling "will go down as one of the most important [decisions] in labor history."
In addition to the articles published by SHRM, The Hill and Law360, Ian is quoted in the following articles (some subscriptions may be required):
- "States Are Complicating Corporate Pandemic Planning," The New York Times DealBook (February 1, 2022)
- "Omicron’s Surge Gives Bosses a Reason to Order Shots Biden Can’t," Bloomberg (January 13, 2022)
- "Business Groups Score Victory with Supreme Court Ruling," The Hill (January 13, 2022)
- "High Court Seems More Likely to Accept Health Care Worker Vaccine Directive," SHRM (January 12, 2022)
- "Justices Seem Divided on OSHA’s Authority to Issue Vaccine-or-Testing ETS," SHRM (January 10, 2022)
- "The Supreme Court Just Signaled It Could Block Biden’s Nationwide Vaccine Mandate," Fortune (January 7, 2022)
- "Supreme Court Hears Major Vaccine Mandate Cases Affecting Nation's Employers," XpertHR (January 7, 2022)
- "Workplace Vaccine Rules Take Center Stage at High Court," Law360 (January 6, 2022)