James Zhang focuses his practice on corporate matters including mergers and acquisitions of private and public companies and corporate finance via private equity. He advises China-based companies on their outbound mergers and acquisitions and counsels foreign companies on their China strategies including negotiations with Chinese counterparties and interactions with regulatory authorities. He also has experiences in advising Chinese private enterprises on their initial public offerings overseas. James has advised a broad spectrum of industries spanning agriculture, energy, healthcare, internet, manufacturing, media, and technology.
Select examples of James’ prior work experiences include the following:
- Advised a Nasdaq-listed company on its acquisitions of a Hong Kong IT solution company and a Singapore IT consulting company
- Advised a Chinese e-commerce company on its up-listing from OTC Bulletin Board to Nasdaq Capital Market
- Advised a US film production company on co-financing a series of comic-strip-based films with a major Chinese media company including the latter’s right to green-light film productions and priority right to distribution in China
- Advised the first private equity investment in a US virtual reality content production company by a company publicly traded in a Chinese stock exchange
- Advised the investment arm of a Chinese state-owned energy company on its acquisition of an offshore wind farm divested by a major European energy company
- Advised a major European bank on its providing offshore credit facility to a Chinese state-owned construction engineering company
- Advised a Guangdong-based manufacturing company on its negotiation with private equity investors on a pre-IPO investment
- Advised a Chinese retail company on its acquisition of a spin-off of a European telecom equipment company
- Advised underwriters on a half-billion-dollar initial public offering of a Chinese apparel company
- Restructured a major Chinese real estate company’s billion-dollar pre-IPO convertible debt
- University of Chicago, J.D.
- Pomona College, B.A.
- District of Columbia
- Co-Chair, China Committee, American Bar Association
- Chair, Asia/Pacific Division, International Law Section, American Bar Association