Mercedes Kelley Tunstall is widely recognized as a legal leader in fintech and consumer financial services regulation and compliance. She regularly counsels clients regarding federal banking regulators and defends clients against enforcement actions taken by these regulators, particularly the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).
As a former Federal Trade Commission (FTC) lawyer and bank in-house counsel, Mercedes draws on her experience to work with companies in a wide variety of industries on advertising law, privacy and cybersecurity issues, as well as represent clients in FTC and National Advertising Division defense.
Mercedes takes pride in helping her clients, including banks, lenders, payments companies and fintechs, innovate by incorporating artificial intelligence, mobile payments, social media, cryptocurrency, and blockchain and distributed ledger technology into financial products and services.
Select examples of Mercedes' prior experience include:
- Defended a client against a CFPB civil investigative demand that led to a consent order alleging violations of consumer financial protection regulations as well as unfair, deceptive or abusive acts or practices.
- Assisted a leading payments company in a complete overhaul of its advertising review practices, policies and procedures, and conducted an in-depth analysis of its advertising in preparation for regulatory examination.
- Worked with a fintech to develop a blockchain and distributed ledger technology-based network that facilitates improved documentation and communication for commercial financial services transactions.
- DePauw University, B.M., magna cum laude
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D.
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- District of Columbia
- Recognized by Chambers USA and Financial Services Regulation: Consumer Finance (Compliance) (2015, 2018-2019)
- Named in The Legal 500 US in Cyber Law (including Data Privacy and Data Protection), published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2015, 2018-2019, 2021)