Brian Socolow represents athletes, teams, event owners, media companies, equipment manufacturers and others in the sports industry in complex commercial transactions and business disputes.
He has handled transactions ranging from media broadcast and distribution agreements, sponsorships and trademark licenses to venue agreements and the purchase and sale of sports properties. Most recently, Brian has represented smart home services provider Vivint in its naming rights deal for the arena home to the Utah Jazz, represented a group seeking an MLS expansion franchise, negotiated an employment agreement for the CEO of World TeamTennis, and counseled the World Freerunning Parkour Federation in negotiations with the International Gymnastics Federation.
Brian has provided leagues, event owners and media agencies, such as World Surf League, Tough Mudder, the Ladies Professional Golf Association and AdLarge Media, with strategic counsel in television and radio broadcast agreements, internet distribution and marketing rights arrangements, live event webcasting, exclusive ad partnerships, and sponsorships. He also has notable experience litigating copyright and trademark conflicts, contractual disputes.
I combined my passion for sports with my legal practice, and I look forward to each day and each new challenge helping clients compete in this dynamic industry.
Brian serves on the board of directors of the Sports Lawyers Association and regularly comments on sports-related topics as a legal contributor for top-tier media outlets, such as CNN, ESPN Radio and The Wall Street Journal.
In addition to his sports practice, he represents clients in intellectual property, entertainment and complex commercial disputes.
Outside the office, Brian is a drummer and an avid runner. He also serves on the advisory board for the New York chapter of Back on My Feet, an organization that combats homelessness through running, and he sits on the commission of the New Castle Recreation and Parks Department.
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D.
- Yale University, B.A., magna cum laude
- New York State Courts
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- New York
- Named in The Legal 500 US in Sports, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2017-2018 editions)
- Named in Who’s Who Legal: Sports & Entertainment, published by Law Business Research Limited (2013-2016)
- Named "New York Metro Super Lawyer" in Entertainment & Sports and Business Litigation by Thomson Reuters (2009-2018)
- Board of Directors, Sports Lawyers Association
- Commissioner, New Castle, New York Recreation and Parks Department
- Former President, Chappaqua Public Library
- Member, Advisory Board, Back on My Feet