Rob Newman counsels clients in connection with privacy, data security, marketing, e-commerce and intellectual property matters. He advises consumer brands, agencies, content creators, and publishers on privacy and marketing regulatory compliance, the protection and commercialization of their creative properties, and litigation risk avoidance in connection with data privacy, intellectual property and emerging technologies.
Recognized as a “Client Service All-Star” (BTI Consulting Group), Rob is a trusted business advisor working closely with clients to protect their data and creative advantages in the following areas:
- Data Privacy and Security: Regulatory and compliance counseling, including with respect to transparency, targeted and programmatic advertising, “big data,” consumer rights, privacy-by-design, mobile marketing, digital media, and cross-border matters. Rob advises clients on the privacy implications associated with new technologies, negotiates deals involving significant data assets, and assists clients in the assessment and development of internal data privacy and security practices in view of the evolving regulatory landscape.
- Advertising, Marketing, and Promotions: Advertising clearance for traditional and interactive advertising campaigns, and counseling on consumer protection issues, design and implementation of promotions, and new media matters, including text message marketing, user-generated content, and social media.
- Trademarks and Brand Protection: Trademark selection and clearance, assistance with the development of branding strategies, trademark prosecution, and global trademark portfolios management. Rob also advises on domain name strategies and new gTLD matters.
- IP Transactions, Licensing, and E-Commerce: IP and privacy matters associated with mergers, acquisitions, outsourcing, transition services, and other significant corporate transactions. In addition, Rob counsels clients on software and mobile application development, end-user licenses, application service provider agreements, and software licensing.
- IP Disputes and Litigation: False advertising, copyright, trademark, domain name, defamation, right of publicity, and unfair competition disputes and litigation, as well as UDRP proceedings and matters before the National Advertising Division and the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Talent, Music, and Copyright: Music and content licenses, and high-level talent agreements for use in advertising and branded entertainment. Rob also counsels content creators and content providers on the protection and commercialization of their music, literary, and other creative properties.
Rob is an adjunct faculty member of Chicago-Kent College of Law and has also taught at The John Marshall Law School's Center for Intellectual Property, Information and Privacy Law.
Rob is actively involved in pro bono service on behalf of several prominent music and arts organizations. He is also a member of the Board of Directors of the Lawyers for the Creative Arts and Illinois Legal Aid Online (ILAO).
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D.
- University of Illinois, B.A.
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Named a "Best Lawyer" in Privacy and Data Security Law, by The Best Lawyers in America (2020)
- Named in The Legal 500 US in Cyber Law, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2019)
- Named a “Client Service All-Star” by BTI Consulting Group (2018)
- Named among “Top Emerging Lawyers in Illinois” in Intellectual Property Law by the Leading Lawyers Network (2015-2019)
- Board of Directors, Illinois Legal Aid Online
- Board of Directors, Lawyers for the Creative Arts
- Adjunct Professor, Chicago-Kent College of Law
- Legal Affairs Council and Privacy Subcommittee, Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB)
- Privacy Committee, American Association of Advertising Agencies (4A’s)
- Former Co-Chair of the Internet and Privacy Subcommittee of the IP Litigation Committee, American Bar Association
- Former Chair of the Trademark Transactions Committee, former Vice Chair of the Trademark Litigation and Trademark Legislation Committees, and former Annual Review Vice Chair (Copyright Division), American Bar Association
- Former member, Internet Committee and GAC Subcommittee, International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Member, The Recording Academy