Melaina Jobs concentrates her practice on patent and trademark prosecution and counseling.
Melaina's patent practice includes preparing and filing utility and design patent applications in the mechanical, electromechanical and computer science arts, including graphical user interfaces. She has prosecuted design and utility patent applications in relation to various technologies, including heavy industrial machinery, semiconductor devices, aircraft devices, beverage dispensing devices, scanning acoustic microscopes, transportation devices and systems, financial transaction devices and systems, consumer products, and sporting gear. She also advises clients on patentability and infringement issues.
Melaina regularly manages large international trademark portfolios, advises clients on proper trademark usage in branding materials, and prepares and prosecutes federal and state trademark applications. As another facet of her practice, she performs patent and trademark due diligence checks in preparation for the sale or purchase of intellectual property assets, and drafts IP purchase and license agreements.
She also has experience representing clients in appeals before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board as well as in opposition and cancellation actions before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
The co-author of several publications on trademark issues, Melaina has also regularly been recognized as an “Illinois Rising Star” in IP by Thomson Reuters.
- University of Connecticut School of Law, J.D., with honors,
Administrative Editor, Connecticut Journal of International Law
- University of Virginia, Systems Engineering, B.S.
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Honorable David M. Borden and George D. Stoughton, Connecticut Appellate Court, January 01, 2008
- Named "Illinois Super Lawyer" in Intellectual Property by Thomson Reuters (2020)
- Named "Illinois Rising Star" in Intellectual Property by Thomson Reuters (2016-2019)
- Recipient, CALI Award Intellectual Property Law Clinic
- Recipient, CALI Award Taxation of Nonprofit Organizations
- Recipient, Connecticut Bar Association Real Property Section Award
- Honorable Mention, 24th Annual Smith-Babcock-Williams National Student Writing Competition
- Secretary, Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (IPLAC) (2014-2016); Board of Managers (2013-2014); Chair/Co-Chair, Winter Social Committee (2012–present); Chair/Co-Chair, Young Members Committee (2011-2013)
- Board Member and Special Events Committee Member, Girls on the Run Chicago (2016-present)